Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

boston butt

pokey
pokey Posts: 59
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
my wife put a 10# butt on around 6pm with the dome temp at 250, the internal temp is 143 as of 11:50, will this butt be ready a little early? I was thinking 1.5hrs per pound at earliest.

Comments

• Pokey....sounds like you might have the probe either hitting the bone or in a fat pocket. Try testing in different areas. Much to soon for a 10# butt to be that far along after 5 1/5 hours at 250*, unless your thermometer is not calibrated. Good luck with it.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    pokey: Sometimes they can go faster, sometimes slower, but you have yet to reach the plateau (in the 160* range). It will plateau for a couple hours, then begin climbing again. What time were you planning on eating? You have calibrated the dome thermo?
  • pokey
    pokey Posts: 59
    I have not calibrated the dome or the digital thermometer in the boston butt, exactly how is this process completed?
  • jetmech
    jetmech Posts: 75
    Boil water and stick it in, should read 212 unless you're at high altitude
  • FLbobecu
    FLbobecu Posts: 309
    jetmech wrote:
    Boil water and stick it in, should read 212 unless you're at high altitude

Correct. And if the thermometers in question aren't reading 210*, roughly (sometimes hard to pinpoint 212 exactly, with an analog therm), with boiling water, then they need to be adjusted.