Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Trex for Tables

madcooks
madcooks Posts: 11
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Also, if I buy a BGE I'd probably want to build my own table. But nobody has mentioned using something like Trex to build the table. Am I missing something?
Thanks,
Dave

Comments

• DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    Here is a sample of Trex-like material. Notice the subtlety of the blow torch trying to remove the platesetter from the Trex-like material. Names have been removed to protect the innocent...

DSC06987.jpg
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    it's not structural. you'd have to use it only on finish surfaces...
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    That is funny. First time to see this photo.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Nice pic. I have that on my deck (not my table), but I always put a tile down before setting my hot platesetter or grid on anything. Simple, yet effective.
  • LFGEnergy
    LFGEnergy Posts: 618
    Trex is in fact very structural, and IMHO a great product in the appropriate application, from an engineers perspective. It has good span and loading capacities in decking applications (compared to similar 2x6 and 2x8 wood applications), and good weathering characteristics (although direct sun applications are questionable, as warping has been observed in earlier versions of the product - still not convinced Texas summers equate to a great application). It is however, reportedly 50 percent recycled plastics and wood chips, and therefore not high heat compatible. Putting it next to an egg, and more specifically putting hot components coming out of the egg (platesetters, etc.) on Trex is not be a compatible use.
  • loxic
    loxic Posts: 25
    My table is built out of 100% trex with stainless steal decking screws. It weighs a ton and I have had no problems yet (about a year) structurally. That being said I would advise against using it for your table as it stains very easily and can not be cleaned efficiently . I will be building a new table when I have time because of this.
  • PhilOsh
    PhilOsh Posts: 84
    Trex is easily stained especially by oils and fats. It expands and contracts significantly with temperature changes. It supports algae and mold growth in humid and shaded conditions. It melts. It does not rot. I cannot use Trex in any structural application in residential construction.
    Phil
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    From the manufacturer's own perspective, it is a non-structural finish material

There's lots of racking in these tabledesigns ( they rely on trying to establish moment connections in materials not suited to it), and teed is less suited to it than even wood

No pissing contest here. I understand you are an engineer. Dunno what kind. But I have a decent chunk of experience in wood/steel/concrete too, and I would advise against using it structurally.

And that's aside from the other negatives it has which you already pointed out

Plus it looks like hell :laugh:
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • It has come up before and has been discouraged for the reasons mentioned above.

wood works. spend your money on a nice wood. I wouldn't use PT but many people here have used it and are happy with the results.

When I built my table, I wanted to do it once and do it right, and I wanted it to last. so I used mahogany and have been pleased with the results.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    if we know the name of your neighbor who did that are we supposed to tell? :whistle:

it is my platesetter and torch but it was not me :whistle:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    BENTE wrote:
    if we know the name of your neighbor who did that are we supposed to tell? :whistle:

it is my platesetter and torch but it was not me :whistle:

He will speak up if he wishes...

HAHAHAHA!

I will add that it was dark.
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
  • NC-CDN
    3454a08c762a4b72.jpg

I have that trek decking. This is the only picture I have hosted at the moment. This is as close as my egg gets to it. I do place the hot platesetter and daisy wheel on top of tile or an old cracked bottom grate. Also use a pie plate under the cleanout to avoid hot coals starting a fire. That has worked great.

Yes that is wood holding the EGG up. I keep forgetting while at Lowes or HD to get a few pavers to set the EGG on. Hasn't ever been a problem though.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Paver AND Spacers! :evil:

2005_0104Image0008.jpg
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    yea but dont give him a out.... :huh:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• NC-CDN
    I have a piece of concrete board I was going to put on the bottom of my table. That won't burn! Anyone ever try that? I have the piece, just haven't cut it yet as I was thinking of building a new table.

ripnem....How did it burn through a paver like that? Was it on a stone or just propped on pavers alone? Was that from a coal or the base of the egg being insanely hot? Did you have anything to catch the hot coals that drop out?

That could have been bad.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,664
    thats an old pic from my deck, 2 inch thick coffee table i made when i was a kid in woodshop. years ago it wasnt recommended to use a paver, just the feet,... use the paver :laugh: it was a low and slow and the egg bottom got that hot, the burn to the left was from dragging it over to finish the cook.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it