Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

clear smoke confusion

wattwizzwattwizz Posts: 33
edited 10:39PM in EggHead Forum
I understand on high temp cooks you should let your lump burn for 45 minutes to an hour before cooking. But on low and slow cooks I've been told to start your lump in a couple of places (mapp torch)let it come up to temp, stabilize your temp and start your cook. Am I getting bad smoke because I didn't let the lump burn off or is this only at higher temps.

Comments

• 2Fategghead2Fategghead Posts: 9,623
    It happens every cook. I simply stabilize and wave my hand over the dome. I cook when the smell is not offensive. ;)
  • Grandpas GrubGrandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Sweet not acrid... :) Best test in the west.

GG
  • FidelFidel Posts: 10,172
    thick, billowy white smoke = bad

thin, wispy bluish smoke = good

On a high heat cook there is no reason to heat up for 45 minutes. Usually 15-20 is more than enough - even less time if you are reusing lump.

On a low and slow cook by the time your fire is stable and the temp is holding at 250 it should be about ready to go. That is when to start the sniff test. If it smells like a wood fire you're good to go. If t has a chemical-like smell to it then check again in 10 minutes.
  • Grandpas GrubGrandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Here is a link to a visual look courtesy of thirdyeye.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=697621&catid=1

GG