Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled beef: 5.5+ hr plateau at 145 ok?

tmEGGer
tmEGGer Posts: 92
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have 2 beef chuck roasts, each about 3.5# and 2.5" thick. Got it on a rack in a roast pan on a platesetter. Started cook at 7:30pm with internal temp at 45 and dome 225. Dome stayed spot on as I am using wireless BBQ guru. At 3:30am (one of the kids decided that our bed was a better place to be than hers) the internal temp was 145. Yes, the guru remote was on my nightstand, and yes, my wife thinks I am crazy. It is 9am and internal temp is holding around 147-149. [p]It seems like a long plateau for a hunk of beef that is only 2.5" thick. What do you think?[p]Of course, the last time I asked a question like this, I had a 9# butt that took 30 hours and was fine.[p]Comments/advice welcome.

Comments

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    NutmEGGer,[p]I did an 8 lb chunk-o-chuck two weeks ago and had the same issue. I think the plateau for chuck must be lower than for pork. The one I did turned out great, just took a long time at a lower than expected plateau. [p]The one I did was a lot thicker but again with similar temps that your are having.[p]Chuck