Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can't get the temp under 250 on the egg.....

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm smoking a butt tonight (for the super bowl) and for some reason can't get the temp down. I'd like to smoke it at 225-230 but's it's been hovering at 255-260 for an hour. The top vent is almost closed (1/32" open) and the bottom vent might be 1/16" open. I've done this several times and never had this much trouble. Any ideas?

Comments

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    TideJoe,[p]Could be it's more windy tonight. It is here. I actually like to do an overnighter with 250+ temps, since I'll have less of a problem maintaining that than the really low temps. Plus, with a 225 dome, you're looking at possibly a 50 or more degree difference at the grate. [p]I'd say let it ride through the night at the higher dome, and then tomorrow if you want to, let it come back down to the lower temps depending on when you want it done. If you end up with it done earlier, just wrap in foil, wrap in a couple of towels and put in a cooler. It'll stay hot for quite a while that way.[p]Tonia
    :~)