Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pit Beef and Rib Tips from yesterday

Options
MusicMan78
MusicMan78 Posts: 182
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Did the pit beef on Friday, local meat market had them on sale for 2.49 a lb.

DSC00527.jpg

Rubbed with Red Eye

DSC00529.jpg

Finished product. Went 375 indirect and pulled at 125 degrees. Coasted up to 140 while resting and got a little more cooked than I would have liked. Probably pull at 120 next time.

DSC00533.jpg

DSC00540.jpg

I was under constant supervision... :laugh:

DSC00542.jpg

Sliced up nice on my new Waring Pro slicer.
DSC00513.jpg

Crusty rolls and a quick dip in the au jus in the crock pot finished them off. No pics of that as I had to move fast just to get some...I hid a chunk in the fridge and sliced it this morning before I cleaned the slicer though! Want to say thanks to Mad Max, Richard Fl, and WessB for the help with my first pit beef. Changes for next time will be alot more smoking wood as it could have used more smoke flavor as well as more rub....maybe a base of season salt before my "heavier" rubs.

DSC00545.jpg

Trimmed up some spareribs and froze the St. Louis cuts and then added the tips to some I had already frozen from a previous cook. Slathered in mustard and billy bones and let rest in the fridge overnight.

DSC00537.jpg

Cooked about 5 hours at 250 indirect over oak and some Sweet Baby Rays the last hour or so. Got a little black as I didn't foil the edges of the grill but they were so thick that it didn't taste burnt...didn't hear any complaints, lol

DSC00547.jpg

Had to fight the rain when I started cooking....

DSC00535.jpg

Then the snow hit!
DSC00548.jpg

DSC00549.jpg

Thanks for looking everyone!

Comments

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Nice cook! I tried a few, dry-aged, standing beef rib racks (small) recently, and the temp rose 15-20 degrees in 1/2 hour after the 350 bake. As far as the dry- aging thing goes, I'd never go that way again. Good flavor, but not worth the time, & loss of succulent, aspic enjoyment..
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Options
    Awesome cook (snow and all). I'm sure the sandwiches were very tasty....how long at 375 until you reached the desired temp? :) Love looking at your photos.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Dave, Some nice looking cooks!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Fluffyb
    Fluffyb Posts: 1,815
    Options
    Beautiful looking cooks Dave! Pit beef is awesome. Sorry you are still getting snowed on, spring is just around the corner.
  • MusicMan78
    Options
    Elizabeth, I would say it took around 1 1/2 to 2 hours to get it to temp...it was a fast and easy cook and will be trying again soon!
  • LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    Options
    that's fantastic... I really need to get around to making that pit beef.

sadly I've only bbq'd 3 or 4 times this year.

*hangs head in shame
    context is important :)
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Options
    Dave, love the looks of the rib tips and as for the beef, it makes me long for a slicer! :)
  • MusicMan78
    Options
    @eenie, don't know if you are close to a Cabela's store but that's where I got that one. It was in the bargain cave (refurb) but was only 24 bucks and works just fine. Regular retail is 100+ I think.