Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Here are some of our new favorite non-beef burgers: Italian Turkey Burger, Grilled Tuna Burger and Goat Cheese Portobello Burger. You’ll want to perfect these before football season starts up in a few weeks! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Bacon is "Whats for breakfast?"

2Fategghead2Fategghead Posts: 9,623
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This morning we get to try out the Hi Mountain Buck Board Bacon cure we used on a 5 pound raw bacon slab.

Cindy fried up a few slices of home made bacon complements of High Mountain and the BGE.

000_2594.jpg

000_2595.jpg

Cindy had plenty of bacon grease after frying up 6 slices. Then she made some nice gravy for our biscuits and hash browns. :P

000_2596.jpg

Hi Mountain

The bacon had great flavor. It fried up great and became nice and crispy. The bacon was a little on the salty side. If I had to do it over again I would make some more and try and figure out how to reduce the amount of saltiness in the bacon. Perhaps a longer soak out and replace the water every so often. This bacon produced a lot of grease in the skillet after frying.

Tender Quick

The bacon we ate from the Tender Quick recipe was very good. It fried up great but, with all the dark brown sugar in the recipe you have to fry it slowly or it will burn up easily. The bacon also got nice and crispy and chewed up nice. We will definitely do it again. I think it was a little salty but, doable again for sure. This bacon produced a lot of grease in the skillet after frying.

Comparing the bacon we made using Hi Mountain cure versus the Tender Quick in a recipe I would go with the Tender Quick and add and subtract to the recipe Michael Ruhlman lined out to add and subtract flavors as well as curing and smoking technique.

I still need to try pink salt to cure bacon.

To see the write up in it's entirety go here.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1051901&catid=1

Comments