Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Pork Butt To Fast

jbennyjbenny Posts: 147
edited 8:45PM in EggHead Forum
So i bought a 9lb pork butt bone in and through it on the egg last night at 240 at midnight. Expecting 2 hrs a pound like normal. Well it's a little over 10 hrs and it's at 179. I'm pulling at 195, what should I do?
·

Comments

• bwceggedbwcegged Posts: 18
    Let it continue!...I did a 8 lber a few weeks ago and it went 14 hrs....to 210 f
    ·
  • CrimsongatorCrimsongator Posts: 5,765
    When do you need it to be done?
    ·
  • fieroguyfieroguy Posts: 777
    It is probably in the 'plateau' and could well remain there for 3-4 hours. Once exiting the plateau, it will jump up up to your target temp. in about 2-3 hours.
    ·
  • ForniaFornia Posts: 451
    I normally do butts at 250° dome....so as long as you're dome therm is 'on' (calibrated), I can't see that it's cooking 'too fast'.

I don't think you have any problems...

Also, not sure if youve gone through the plateau stage yet (where temp can stay relatvely the same for a long time)...but the time from 179 to 195 could take some time yet.

I pull butts normally around 195....not sure youd want to go to 210.
    ·
  • jbennyjbenny Posts: 147
    Thanks, I pull at 195. It looks like it hit it's plateau at 180 which through me off because I've normally seen at around 145-160. I need it done by 6ish so I dropped the dome to 212 for now and will ramp up when it gets closer
    ·
    Yeah...pretty much think the plateau stage can fluctuate on where it comes into play.

I'd only say to keep an eye on it now with the 212 dome...most times I read that these lower (sub 250) temps can cause the Egg to sometimes fizzle-out.

It'll be great...that's the end result!
    ·
  • azbbguyazbbguy Posts: 191
    jbenny wrote:
    Thanks, I pull at 195. It looks like it hit it's plateau at 180 which through me off because I've normally seen at around 145-160. I need it done by 6ish so I dropped the dome to 212 for now and will ramp up when it gets closer
    I personally wouldn't drop temp below 225. If it gets done early, just double wrap in foil and throw it in a cooler.
    ·
    it went out, fantastic!
    ·
    Went out...as in your fire?

That's the problem with the lower (
    ·
  • Austin SmokerAustin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Great advice given already.....if it's done before you're ready, double wrap it in foil, then a towel and put it in a cooler. It can keep for 3-4 hours no problem. Good luck!
    ·
  • I agree with azb.
    ·
    Pork butt turned out great. If you haven't, buy sucklebusters bbq sauce asap.
    ·