Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

lowering the dome temp, IT DOES WORK

Options
eggor
eggor Posts: 777
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
well i went to light the egg, and i was out of propane, no green heat, starter cubes lost some where in the garage so i resorted to newspaper. filled the egg halfway and lit a piece of newspaper and shoved it through the bottom vent, added a couple more pages and shoved them in there for good measure. sat down and started going through my recipes.grabbed my camera and planned on taking a few pictures when i noticed flames shooting out the top vent. [p]DAMN, I DOING A TURKEY! [p]looked at the dome temp and it was over 750 in bout half hour from lighting the newspaper. I remembered someone posting to add more lump to bring the temp down, so i opened the dome dumped in more lump to a couple inches below the top of the fire ring and sure enough the that dome temp dropped to 200 lickety split. I set up my pizza stone and will let it burn off a little before i put the bird on.[p]Two lessons learned. newspaper will start a fire as well as anything else with a lot less hassle than some methods, and adding more lump really does work.[p]Scott

Comments

• Essex County
    Options
    eggor,
    I ran out of starter cubes about 3 weeks ago and went back to newspaper. One sheet in the bottom of the firebox, lightly crumpled. Dump in the lump. Light every corner of paper you can reach between the lump. Vents wide open. 350 in 10 minutes.[p]Yeah, someday I'll get a mapp torch. But not today![p]Paul