Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you had a hoppy Easter and are ready to spring into warm weather cooking mode! There’s nothing better than spending time outdoors with the sweet aroma of fresh cooked Ribs. Baseball season is also underway, so it's the perfect time to try out some chicken wing variations! We have Jamaican Jerk, Lemon Pepper, Fired-Up Wings and even a Whiskey Onion and Chicken Steak if wings aren't your thing. Bon appetit!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Free MS OFFICE?

BacchusBacchus Posts: 6,019
edited November -1 in Off Topic
Just picked up a refurb laptop to compliment my home desktop, and want/need OFFICE on it. Not looking to shell out hundreds for it, and heard that the "starter" version was available for download free. Evidently this starter version has simplified versions of Word and Xcel but no Outlook or Powerpoint. That would suffice for opening docs and doing basic spreadsheets.
Is anyone familiar with it? Know where I can download it?
·

Comments

• If you have Windows 7, then you already have it. Just needs to be activated.
    BGE'er since 1996 Large BGE 1996, Small BGE 1996, Mini BGE 1997
    ·
  • BacchusBacchus Posts: 6,019
    XP
    ·
  • If all you are looking for is basic operations, you should download openoffice -- it is the office suite equivalent to firefox. Go to www.openoffice.org. It will give you a word processor, spreadsheet program, presentation software and a data base program. I have used the data base program and it works quite well.

Tom

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

·
    Is OpenOffice cross compatible with MS docs and spreadsheets?
    ·
  • As far as I can tell, you can open microsoft documents and save to the same format. It's free so you have nothing to lose.

Tom

Tom

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

·
    Thanks!
    ·
  • EggNorthEggNorth Posts: 490
    Fully compatible. The only problem is you will not have spell checker in Outlook Express - Need Office for that (this may have changed over the years)

I used OpenOffice for years and never had a problem, not as nice to use as Word but works and as stated it's free!
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    LBGE (2010)
    ·
  • Does Windows Live Mail include a spell checker ? If so, can it be used in xp?

Tom

Tom

·
  • Yes. I am running Windows Live Mail on a 6 year old laptop with XP. You will really like it. Many added features over Outlook. When you download it , it will automatically import your contacts also
    ·
  • BGE'er since 1996 Large BGE 1996, Small BGE 1996, Mini BGE 1997
    ·
  • I am running live on both my desktop and laptop. I also have Word so I was not sure if live itself has a spell checker.

Tom

Tom

·
  • If you are running Windows Live Mail already you should notice any misspelled word underlined in red when you compose any email. Also the manual check on top tool bar. Hope this helps.
    ·
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    it has powerpoint support too
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
    ·