Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grilled Gator?

Options
BlueSmoke
BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Watching Paula Deen today making panfried gator, I started thinking "Why not Egg a gator?"[p]Anybody tried it? Thoughts, suggestions, recipes?[p]TIA[p]Ken

Comments

• Fisheyes
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    As a life-long FSU fan and dedicated Gator-Hater, I love this idea. In fact, I think that this will be my meal for next year's FSU/UF game.[p]Thanks,
    Brad

• Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Fisheyes,[p]Play like last year, and you'll want to mix in a little crow, I'm thinkin'...
  • Fisheyes
    Options
    Mark Backer,
    I am also a Miami Dolphins fan. So, I had a pretty bad football season in 2004. I've been using the standard "It was a rebuilding year" comment. I pretty much had to face the fact that my teams sucked. However, I went to Vanderbilt, so I have learned to live with sucky football teams. At least my favorite NASCAR driver (Ryan Newman) doesn't suck.[p]By the way, do you have a recipe for Crow? How about Bulldog or Yellow Jacket?[p]Brad

• Chef Wil
    Chef Wil Posts: 702
    Options
    top of the day to ya Ken, gator is better braised or stewed. Gator Chili would be an option but you really need to break down the muscle in order for it to be tender. You could take the tail and cut thin steaks, tenderize them, then grill them and serve with some grilled onions and peppers and drizzle your great sauce you make on them. Just thinkin........
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    BlueSmoke,[p]Here are some pictures of alligator tenderloin purchased from D'Angelo Brothers Meat Market while in Philadelphia a couple of years ago. Many folks associate them with sausage only but they make a market in game meats as well.[p]I marinated them in olive oil and crushed garlic in the icebox over night and seasoned with a favorite rub (with salt) the next day before grilling. The tenderloin was good and I would do it more frequently if I had a source for less expensive alligator tenderloin.[p]If you are cooking the tougher cuts of this animal I would suggest running them through a tenderizer prior to grilling. You can always tenderize, season your fry batter, and fry. Fried alligator is da bomb![p]
    Aligator1.jpg[p]Aligator2.jpg[p]Aligator3.jpg

• egghead2004
    Options
    djm5x9,
    You are right! I've had fried gator a couple times in Florida, man that was some good stuff.

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Ken,
    I cut the meat into bite-size pieces & marinate overnight in Mrs. Dog's Jamaican Jerk Marinade & olive oil. Then I roll each piece in Parmesan cheese and grill indirect. Yum!
    Julie

[ul][li]Jerk[/ul]