Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Duck Two Ways

BobS
BobS Posts: 2,485
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Actually it is duck 2 1/2 ways if you count cooking potatos in the duck fat. YUM :laugh:

This was a fun cook and it turned out fantastic. I bought a whole duck and cut the leg/thigh pieces and breast halves off and set them aside.

26-02-11Duck1.jpg

I started by roasting the rest of the parts as a start to make some duck stock.

26-02-11Duck3.jpg

While the duck was roasting, I cut up some veggies to add flavor to the stock. I added a yellow onion, with the skin on, because that adds color to the stock.

26-02-11Duck2.jpg

The second step on the stock was to saute some onion, shallot, carrot and celery.

26-02-11Duck4.jpg

Then I added a cup of port wine, a habanaro pepper and a bay leaf and let the port reduce down until it was almost dry.

26-02-11Duck5.jpg

Then I added a cup of the fresh duck stock and a handful of dried cranberries and let it simmer for another 45 minutes.

From there, I strained the sauce, reduced it a little more and added a stick of butter.

Meanwhile, the leg thigh combos had been cooking, with the Guru in control, for about 3 hours at 240, with some pecan for flavor.

When they were almost fall off the bone tender, I put the breasts on for 30 minutes to get warm through and some smoke flavor. Then I brought the breasts in and seared them in a hot skillet.

I boiled some red potatoes, let them cool, gently crushed them down like a hockey puck and fried them in the duck fat that I got when I roasted the duck. I topped them with sour cream, sliced the duck breast, added the sauce and dinner was served.

26-02-11Duck7.jpg

I have a bunch of duck stock that I am going to freeze, so I can just buy the leg/thigh combos and breast pieces, next time.

Comments