Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

APL'S Grilled Whole Spatchcock Chicken

Ross in VenturaRoss in Ventura Posts: 7,233
edited 9:23AM in EggHead Forum
Jackie gave me BBQ 25 by Adam Perry Lang for Christmas I already had Serious Barbaque by him. This Spatchcock chicken is wonderful.
DSC_0009-46.jpg
The Raws.
DSC_0014-43.jpg
The Brine
DSC_0019-28.jpg
In the fridge for 6-hrs.
DSC_0025-20.jpg

DSC_0026-21.jpg

DSC_0027-24.jpg
On a raised grid @300* with apple and cherry wood for smoke.
DSC_0029-19.jpg
Pulled @ 165* internal.
DSC_0030-16.jpg
Rested for 10-min.
DSC_0033-15.jpg
Served with Fresh Asparagus and Garlic Mashed Potatoes. This Chicken has a wonderful flavor and texture, very pleasing to the palette. I well make this again and again. Serious Barbecue and BBQ 25 books are worth having for the serious Cook.

Recipe:http://www.bonappetit.com/blogsandforums/blogs/badaily/2010/05/winner-butterflied-chicken-rec.html

Thanks for lookin.

Ross

Comments

• Mr HollowayMr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Fantastic looking chicken Ross
    I am a big fan of ALP's Serious BBQ
    Will have to have a look at this one
    Great post :)

Shane
  • Thanks Shane, you'll love it

Ross
  • 2Fategghead2Fategghead Posts: 9,623
    Nice post Ross. :) I like to get fryers under 3 pounds they are so good. Reading your post drives me to get up and grill another chicken. Dern my mouth is watering. :P

Blessings to you and Jackie

I remember I use to copy some of your cooks until I got a little better on my own. Well really I still copy everybody if I see a cook I like. :blush: Thanks for all your great picture posts. :)
  • Thats great Tim keep copying and posting.

Rpss
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 18,599
    Chicken and pictures are tops.
    Question: I see you post asparagus but not grilled?
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

• BeliBeli Posts: 10,751
    Just fantastic Ross, really like the way you innovate with recipes all the time. Have a great sunday
  • GrumpsGrumps Posts: 182
    Great post! I haven't brined anything yet, but I do love Spatchcock chicken.
  • Too funny, I did a surprisingly similar one the other night with the same fresh herbs and it was fantastic. Forgot to take pics....grr..
  • rsmdalersmdale Posts: 2,472
    Great looking cook Ross !The chicken looks very moist.

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE
  • Thanks Mickey,My wife dosen't like grilled

Ross
  • Thanks Beli, you have a great one too

Ross
  • Thanks Grumps

Ross
  • I hope it was as good as mine

Ross
  • thechief96thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    Looks quite good Ross.
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • Thanks Dale

Ross
  • Thanks Dave

Ross
  • FluffybFluffyb Posts: 1,815
    Ross,

That chicken looks great. I have one out for dinner tonight and was trying to do something different with it. Looked at the recipe and I have all those ingredients on hand! So now I know what's for dinner tonight, thanks for sharing. Will post the results later.
  • smbishopsmbishop Posts: 1,895
    After reading your post, I went to the store and bought a chicken. It is in the brine now. Went to the Naked Whiz site, as I have not done a spatchcock before. Can't wait for dinner!
    Large, Small, and a LOT of Eggcessories!  Southlake, TX
  • I'm sure it well be wonderful Teresa

Ross
  • I'm sure you well have a wonderful dinner Scott.

Ross
  • BBQ25 was one of my favorite new cookbooks last year.

I like it because of it's emphasis on techniques, it's a good teaching book whether your are new to grilling or already experienced. I highly second your recommendation.

Great post, Ross!
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Thanks Chris

Ross
  • smbishopsmbishop Posts: 1,895
    And here it is:

005-16.jpg

013-16.jpg

027-1.jpg

028-1.jpg
    Large, Small, and a LOT of Eggcessories!  Southlake, TX
  • HossHoss Posts: 14,600
    OH my GOODNESS!That is a TASTEE looking meal.I am gonna have to check tis APL guy out.Looks like he knows his stuff. :)