Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Size BGE To buy, Lg or XL?

Options
Ottersrylee
Ottersrylee Posts: 8
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am in the market for my first BGE and am very excited. I am on the fence on whether to buy the Large or the XL. The only downside I can is the assumed increase use of charcoal which is fine. I am feeding 3-6 people on average and like to cook multiple dinner items on the grill. Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    I always advise folks to get the largest size they can afford. They cook very similarily and if this is your first EGG® then you won't even know what the minor differences are.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    I agree with Bobby. Get the largest you can afford. Lump is not cheap, but it should not be your deciding factor. Good luck. Whichever one you buy you will enjoy cooking on it and in time you will want another.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    I never really hear the XL owners complain about having too much grid space.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Welcome to the forum. My vote is two large and set them up with eggcessories from the ceramicgrillstore.com ;)
  • Brokersmoker
    Options
    Consider a Large and a Small. That way you can cook at differenttemps if you want to, also if its just the 2 of you and a couple of steaks you don't need to fire up the XL. Last time I checked this set up was about the same price as an XL. Either way welcome and you will enjoy your Eggsperience!
  • XLentEGG
    XLentEGG Posts: 436
    Options
    I bought an XL based on the fact that I would rather have extra room , than need extra room. It takes a 8-10 lb bag of lump to fill it. I can get a good 8-12 hour low and slow cook,plus use whats left for the rest of the week grilling. I have no problem with heat control,but I use it at least three time a week. I have also purchased a set of ANG-L brackets and a fire ring. These allow me to set up my lump to accomodate a wide variety of cooking situations. I have never used anything else (lg,med, sm.)so I have no basis for comparison. I do know that I absolutely love my XL and tonight it will be cooking PIZZA !! :)
    More meat please !! :-)
  • Jumping Joe
    Options
    I have a large and small and find this set up perfect for all the cooks I have done.
  • No Trash
    Options
    I have loved my XL for over a year. I have never regretted getting the bigger size. I love the extra room for cooking. I will have a couple of steaks and 2 sides cooking on the egg at the same time. Pizzas are GREAT and you can do 2 at a time. This morning I wish I had a small or medium :blush: so that I do not have to fire up the XL to cook a couple sausage. I guess that I will have to cook a lot of sausage and freeze some for future consumption. :woohoo: :woohoo:

Asking which size to this group is like asking which kid you like better... we love them all.

Enjoy.. I go to fire up the XL for the massive sausage cook off...
  • Bulldog Mom
    Options
    I would recommend a large, the large comes with a lot of eggessories.
  • ranger ray
    Options
    i'd go with the large.... i think the xl is to big for routine use....if you frequently have large parties.... then the xl will appropriate.....rrr
  • ResQue
    ResQue Posts: 1,045
    Options
    Don't know anything about the XL but I do have a Large and a Small and love the combo. I can cook different things at different temps and indirect/direct cooking.
  • RU Eggsperienced
    Options
    Hi,

I have two Larges. On both of those I have an Adjustable rig and a spider and all sorts of other eggcessories that I can share between them.. I can do all sorts of stuff with just one egg and the second made it even better!!
  • stevesails
    Options
    i have an xl i will often just move the used lum t one side and cook with a very small fire for a couple burgers or chicken pieces. I bought a lump reducing ring but i find i can just make a small pile where i want it and cook that way just as easy.

thinkiing of selling the ring but think i will use it to raise a second grid.
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• No Cal Brian
    Options
    I had the same decision last year and went with the large and haven't regretted it. I cook for a family of 4 and it is very capable.

Have fun!
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    I have cooked on both, but prefer the large. You can cook in layers if you need to. The XL seems to take longer to heat up and cool down, it that makes any difference to you. The amount of lump you need is alot more on the XL. Whichever one you choose, you will love cooking on it.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • bees
    bees Posts: 335
    Options
    I agree with Faith. The only factor that would make a difference "might" be if I had a big family, new food saver model, big freezer, or paying neighbors. Randy
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    Maybe it is time to get your Xlarge a small brother
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Ottersrylee
    Options
    Thank you for all of the advice and input. I decided to go with the large egg and take the same route as 2Fategghead and JerryD. I will start with one large egg and if I find i need more space or wish to run separate temps I will get a second egg. Space plus more options, win win. I am excited and can already see what I have been told about the egg heads Is true, great people with a passion for BBQ, food and The Big Green Egg.
    Thanks again
    Stacy :woohoo:
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    All righty then. Can't wait to see your first cook. :)
  • Pork N Stein
    Options
    My first was a large, now I have an XL and a medium. There's only a handful of things that the XL does better than the Large so I'm sure you'll love the versatility. I think the Large is the easiest to learn on too, good choice!
    Large BGE and a couple non-greenies
    Roanoke TX
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Options
    For your needs a large would due great. As I clicked to post I see you already went with a LG. Oh well. I stand by this post. LOL.

Enjoy the EGG. You'll love it.
  • kevinmac200
    Options
    I've owned a XL for 3 years now but am considering getting an additional medium to use for the more typical 2 person meal. Firing up an XL for a couple of steaks or fish fillets seems to be overkill. I guess I would use the medium as a sort of hibachi.