Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

High-Que Gaskets

Options
BigGreenGregg
BigGreenGregg Posts: 161
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone out there tried these yet? Seems to be a self-adhesive Nomex....

http://www.high-que.com/high-heat-grill-gaskets/

Comments

• Dnorman
    Dnorman Posts: 117
    Options
    The marketing seems a lttle untrue. I have yet to have problems with my regular gaskets and I cook at 750 pretty often.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Pretty expensive stuff!! They say it's Nomex on their Buy Now page. Don't know what kind of adhesive they use, but apparently it's not Super77. :)

Fwiw, you can buy aramid strips (generic name for Nomex) at McMaster.com. 1/8" thick x 1" wide. Either 10 or 50' lengths. 45¢/foot. So, instead of $33, you could get 10' for $4.50. But you'd still have to buy some adhesive. Don't know what the best adhesive is for Nomex.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• boston_stoker
    Options
    Assuming it is nomex, this is the enhanced bge gasket. It works better than the felt, but people still fry them. I think you would be better off with the 3M adhesive. The key is to not spray it on the egg, but to spray it into a cup and to then swab it on.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Then you are one of the lucky ones. I have two eggs. Felt gaskets fried within a couple of weeks on both. It is a common problem, so no, I don't think their statement is untrue at all.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• tiger82
    Options
    I just replace my 3rd felt gasket in one year. BGE dealer had the new replacement. I will give it a try.
  • Kew_el_steve
    Options
    Nomex and Super-77. My felt gasket fell off the Egg before the first time I started it. Mothership sent a roll of Nomex to replace under warranty, and life has been good for 4 years and counting.
  • BigGreenGregg
    Options
    Thanks guys for feedback. Just interested, as there are so many gasket options out there. My large got semi fried during a pizza cook awhile back, and my new small (demo) was fried on the demo cook. Dealer is taking care of the small, and I think I'll try to get nomex for large from the other dealer I bought from.

Thanks again
  • 3ggl0ver
    3ggl0ver Posts: 13
    Options
    I asked this question to the girl at their toll free number and she said they are made out of real nomex, and the adhesive is a 3M one specifically for high-temp so they don't seem to be cutting any corners. i got one from their site (free shipping there) and will try it out soon.
    -brian
  • TulsaBGEFan
    Options
    I recently bought one for my large BGE. The company shipped it super fast. The best part was that it installed without having to mess with spray adhesives. SO MUCH EASIER!