Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beware Kroger Lump

jbenny
jbenny Posts: 147
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've bought a few bags of Kroger Lump because it was easier than hunting down anything better. I'll never buy again. After this last cook, I found about 6 different rocks, one large and the quality sucks. Good news though, found Hasty Bake at Berings in Houston! Now that's great lump, made by Ozark Oak

Comments

• Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    I have been buying Kroger lump for the last couple of years and never had this problem. It has been made by Royal Oak, makers of BGE brand lump.
    Of course it is possible that they have changed suppliers.
  • jbenny
    jbenny Posts: 147
    That's why I had been buying it, but the quality isn't worth the price anymore. $9 for an 8.8 lb bag when I can get Hasty Bake for $10 for a 10 lb bag.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Dern, Kroger is asking to much for that bag of lump. I am paying $6.37 per 10 pounds of Royal Oak at my Super Wallmart store. It's not uncommon to get rocks in the bags. One time I got a rock as big as my fist. I recently picked up 12 22 pound bags of Wicked Good.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    I have never paid more than $6.00 for the Kroger brand, but have not bought any since last fall and will not get anymore until sometime this summer. It will be interesting to see what changes have been made.
    Publix brand, which I use here in FL, is also made by RO and comes in the same 8.8lb bag [where on earth did they come up with that figure]. I bought two bagss a few days ago and noticed that the sealing tape on the bag is now green instead of red. The red tape has always been an indicator of "Made in the USA." Haven't used any yet, so I don't know if there is any difference. Stayed tuned :)
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Two years ago I had to go 35 miles one way to the nearest Publix store. If I remember correctly I was paying $5.49 per 8.8 pound bag. Last year my local Wall-mart started carrying the Royal Oak 10 pound bags at $6.37 per bag. So I quit getting Greenwise lump. Now to top all that I recently took part in a group purchase of Wicked Good 22 pound bags. I didn't get as many bags as some got but, I figured 12 bags will last a while. My new go to lump. I may continue to use RO for quick cooks. :)
  • We are really fortunate in SE Missouri. we can get a 10 lb bag of Ozark Oak for less than $5.00
  • Turk
    Turk Posts: 114
    I have been using Kroger lump for a year and have had no problem with it. cost is in the $6.00 range.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Kroger Lump = Publix Lump = Royal Oak Lump = BGE Lump