Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

smoked leg of goat on the bge

Options
DarHarde
DarHarde Posts: 3
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
does anyone have any experience/recipe? Thought I would cook it low&slow like a pork butt.Only methods I can find is grilling. Is brining it advisable? I'm concerned that it will be tough and stringy if I just throw it on the grill. Any Help??

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Lets ask the goat EGGspert.

Goat, Leg, Beli

Hi there Tom, probably what you ate in Argentina was the paleta, (shoulder) which is after the legg, the piece with less fat.....here you find of course the roast goat - kid.

INGREDIENTS:

Procedure:
    1 Cabrito is roast goat-kid. It is a regional specialty of the city of Monterrey, Mexico, (Where I was born & live) and the surrounding state of Nuevo Leon, based on the Jewish cuisine of the founders of the city. The goat should be about 3 months old. It is slow cooked over a charcoal fire for about 8 hours, turning it every 15- 20 minutes.
    2 Also known as chivito, it's a regional specialty in the Córdoba Province in Argentina.
    3 In northern Mexico, cabrito is cooked in a variety of ways.
    4 The best known, and perhaps most popular form is “cabrito al pastor,” in which the whole carcass is opened flat and impaled with a metal spit. The spit is then placed next to a bed of glowing embers and roasted slowly in the open air without seasonings other than the light scent it will absorb from the slow-burning charcoal.
    5 A modern variation is “cabrito al horno,” or oven-roasted cabrito, which is roasted slowly in an oven at low temperatures. A number of variants of this preparation have emerged, including some very elaborate processes that involve applying seasonings and covering the cooking meat at specific times to produce a tasty and juicy treat. I´ll try and find specific dome temps. & inside temps. on the BGE.
    6 Other preparations include “cabrito en salsa” in which the animal is cut into portions, browned in oil and braised in a tomato-based sauce with onions, garlic and green chiles, and other seasonings until tender.
    7 A less common preparation is “cabrito en sangre,” or cabrito in blood sauce, which is called here in Monterrey. “fritada de cabrito.” For this preparation, the blood of the animal is collected when it is slaughtered and it becomes the basis for the sauce that the goat is braised in, along with the animal’s liver, kidneys and heart, and other seasonings. The end product is tender cabrito in a rich, very dark sauce.
    8 Here is one that seems simple & nice.
    Roast baby goat
    INGREDIENTS FOR 4 PEOPLE:
    1 4 shoulders of suckling goat 600 g each 2 gloves of garlic 1 dl of olive oil 1/2 l of water 1 sprig of thyme salt
    Preparation
    1 Crush the garlic, thyme and salt, add a splash of oil, spread the shoulders with this mixture, and place in the oven to cook for about 90 minutes at 180ºC. Sprinkle with water and its own juices
    NOTE:...
    1 For more than twenty years, the central Texas town of Brady has staged the World
    2 Championship Barbecue Goat Cook-off on Labor Day weekend. Cabrito is a
    3 delicacy that has its ardent admirers--and many detractors. To those who have
    4 failed to see the merit in a crunchy yet tender piece of goat meat, the blame must
    5 be placed squarely on the way it's been cooked and on the fact that the goat you
    6 got probably wasn't a ten-to-eighteen-pound, suckling kid slaughtered at thirty to
    7 forty days of age. Older goat is often passed off as cabrito, but once they start
    8 browsing on grass, goats develop an unmistakable mutton flavor. They are also
    9 tough. The best time to get real cabrito is May through October. After October, you
    10 should be skeptical.
    11 Cooking your own cabrito can be real simple if you want to dig a hole in your
    12 backyard, as purists insist. All you need is a three-foot-deep pit with a mesquite
    13 or oak fire raging
    14 in it. Wrap a skinned cabrito in a gunny sack bound with wire and set the meat in
    15 the pit. Cover it with dirt to seal in the heat and let it cook all day. The cabrito will
    16 be smoke-seasoned and tender by nightfall. Apartment-dwellers might want to
    17 opt for the kitchen method of cooking cabrito: place half a cabrito in a roasting pan
    18 with salt, pepper, and two or three onions and baste with hot lard or shortening.
    19 Cook for an hour and 45 minutes in a 375-degree oven, turning every twenty
    20 minutes or so. Sure beats having to dig up the back yard

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Beli, 2008/02/27
  • boston_stoker
    Options
    Cabrito is awesome! I wish I was in Houston so I could go get some today.
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Wish I could find some goat around here. I've eaten goat in Indian Restaurants and it's good. Always braised or stewed and curried.
    I'll see what others have to say, fishlessman is a goat expert. :P