Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reverse Seared Duck Breast -- Take 2

BobS
BobS Posts: 2,485
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I did the reverse sear on a duck breast again and I am really liking this.

I only put rub on the flesh side, because I did not want the sugar in the rub to get so dark when I seared the skin side. I did the finishing sear inside to have better control.

Here I am as it is ready to come off the small at 126.

21-02-11Duck1.jpg

Here we are after the sear.

21-02-11Duck2.jpg

Next time, I want to buy a whole duck, slow cook the leg/thighs, make stock out of the carcass and then sear the breasts. The duck stock and the pan drippings should make a killer pan sauce.

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    when you do the whole duck, cut it up and steam it first. a colander inside a pot will do. inch of water or so, place the duck in the colander up the sides, and the colander in the pot. steam it for half an hour or so and you'll render the fat. save it for cooking. then the duck can be finished any number of ways
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    I have a half gallon of duck fat that I use to make confit. I was planning to roast the carcass and then make the duck stock. I thought I'd use the fat from roasting to cook some potatoes.
  • Lobicho
    Lobicho Posts: 557
    tasty tasty tasty
    greaaat job!!!
    congrats