Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

help with link to season new wok

Options
MusicMan78
MusicMan78 Posts: 182
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
does anyone have the link that shows how to season a wok on the egg??

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Nope. But the way I did mine was easy. Wash all the protective coating off of it using hot water and soap. Scrub well, rinse and dry.

Rub with peanut oil all over, inside and out.

Light the lump and let it get HOT. All lump lit and nice and red.

Wear welders gloves and put the wok directly on the coals. It will start to turn black almost immediately/

Tilt it a bit to blacken all over, all the way up to the edges.

This takes just a few minutes and I have yet to have anything stick to mine.

Don't have a pic of mine, but it looks something like this... only blacker.

EDIT: This IS for a carbon steel wok, right? No idea about a CI wok.

DSCN1233.JPG

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• MusicMan78
    Options
    thanks everybody for the tips...I think I got a good base but it still has a long way to go until it gets good and seasoned.

I didn't have the funds available to order the spider setup so I went the economical route. Bought a 14" wok that cost $9.99 at the Chinese grocery and a $4.35 fire ring. Wok seems to be of decent quality, they had a wide selection at the store and got what looked/felt the best. Bent the handle myself so it would fit.

DSC00498.jpg

DSC00508.jpg

Added fire

DSC00502.jpg

End result, gonna do a cook on it tomorrow. Prob just some veg but still thinking about what exactly. Anyone use a similar setup or have any suggestions to cooking with a wok on the egg?

DSC00506.jpg
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Before I got a spider, I just set the wok on the coals. It worked quite well. Now that I have a spider, I really don't think there's any benefit for wok cooking. Can't see why you'd need the ring either. It's not gonna tip over in the coals.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut