Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribeyes on the Small Egg

Options
kilo
kilo Posts: 77
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I did my first ribeyes on my small egg tonight and they turned out pretty well. My question is why can't I get to the 750 deg. that eveyone talks about on this forum. I use BGE charcoal and I removed all internal parts of the egg and vacuumed it out. I then put some larger pc. of lump on top of the grate and filled the lump up to the level of the air holes. Using an electric starter I got the fire going. The temp raised fairly quickly up to 600 deg ( in 20-30 min) and then it seemed to stop. What am I doing wrong so I can't get to 750? Does it take longer? Do I need more lump? I calibratied my thermometer right before the cook. The good news is that the steaks came out pretty well. I did a 3-3-4 method and they came out between medium to medium well. I would still like to get a hotter sear. Thanks for your help!

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Kilo,
    i tend to have trouble getting my small up to nuke temps as well. . .i have the old ceramic grate. .. is that what you have? . ..i know it does not allow airflow as well as the newer metal grates (i really need to get for my small). ..one way around this problem is simply to get a small fan and blow air in the bottom vent. ..trust me, you'll get the searing temps you want for as long as you need them. ..

• Steve-B
    Steve-B Posts: 339
    Options
    Kilo,[p]I don't have a problem getting the small up to 700+++. I think Max's question about the grate is very valid. I have a metal one. The other things I can think of is the daisy wheel off and firebox aligned with bottom vent. Everything else sounds same as me. [p]Quick note: fan in the lower vent - good idea, blowing in the bottom vent with your mouth - bad idea. I took a face face full of flmaes the first (and last) time I tried it. Sounded like a good idea...still does, but now I know better. No harm done to me, just a good leason. [p]Steve-B
  • Kilo, If you are looking for a fan, try Petco. I bought one months ago and still operating on first set of batteries. It's no hair dryer, but for $20 to your front door, it's not bad. It's plastic, but I've dropped it a couple times and still working. I suggest it only if you have table to set it on.

[ul][li]http://www.petco.com/product_info.asp?sku=2020620332&dept_id=%2D2[/ul]
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    I dunno guys. I have had great success with no fans....just a little time. I let it get rip roaring, then I add a few more coals on top and give it a little more time. Last squidlies I did the thermometer was wrapped past 250 second time around....that thermometer is history, and now I take the therm out when going nuclear.[p]Happy searing
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Ironbaugh
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    We did ribeyes night before last, T Rex method,a first for us w/Dizzy Pig maple flavored rub. We enjoyed better than tenderloins. Rub was outsanding! Don't want to bore you all,but just got a call from my kid in Iraq. Said he's leaving in a week or two. Made my day Thx Rick

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Mornin Rick!
    Wow. I think that is the first I heard of Raging River on beef. I will definitely give that a try! Glad it worked out.[p]And even gladder to hear the news about your son! When he gets home, please tell him "thank you" for me.[p]Happy weekend! What you doin to celebrate/
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Ironbaugh
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Thanks for your concern for my son and others serving our country in Iraq--regardless of one's feelings over the war. Just want to say-- I've only been cooking for 2 or 3 years, since I bought the egg. My friends, family, etal, think I am the best cook. I play along and pretend that I know what I'm doing. If they only knew that I've been reading this forum for several years and am just copying recipes that you, Mad Max,Backer,QBabe,Gretl,TRex,and others,have perfected. It's an absolute hoot. As an infrequent contributor to this forum, I thank all. Rick (Where is Stump Baby?)

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Kilo,
    I'll echo the small fan idea - though I seldom use it anymore unless I'm in a hurry - I bought one of those small plastic personal fans as they are called for 6 bucks at a drugstore. Runs on a couple AA batteries and puts out an amazing amount of air.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • kilo
    kilo Posts: 77
    Options
    Steve-B,
    Thanks for yur advice and all others as well. My small egg is only 2 months old and has the metal grate. I have checked the aligment of the bottom vent several times and it seems perfect. The fire box fits a little tight and doesn't quite rest on the bottom of the the egg (maybe only 1/16" to 1/8" gap), could that be a problem? I called the BGE and they said that was normal. I also wonder if I just need to add some more charcoal. It seems it just doesn't have enough firepower to get the dome temp. over 600 deg. in the winter in Iowa. Should add charcoal above the level of the holes in the firebox? Or do I need to give it a lot more time? Thanks again for all the help!!

• Steve-B
    Steve-B Posts: 339
    Options
    kilo,[p]Yep, more charcoal is the answer. Fill it up almost to the top of the firebox. I bet you won't have any trouble coming up to temp now. Be sure to watch out for flashback when TREXing!!![p]Steve-B