Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

WARNING: Do Not Read If Hungry

Options
Gator Bait
Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

Hi ALL,

This is the results of my Boston Butt cook over the weekend that I posted HERE.

I cheated on the Cole Slaw and used pre-cut slaw and a bottled dressing. I'm glad that I did, this is pretty good. A less creamy dressing with more vinegar might be a smidge better, it needs researching. This worked very well, I may be splitting hairs. :)
DSCN7769A_640.jpg

The pulled pork got mixed with a 50/50 mix of Blues Hog and Sonny's Sweet BBQ Sauces with a good splash of Coke thrown in, a Jupiter Jim suggestion that I like and salt & pepper to taste. It was nuked to warm it up some and to make mixing a lot easier.
DSCN7778A_640.jpg

These Onion Sandwich Buns were insanely fresh and soft and tender, much more so than any thing else I could find. I wish they had more of the caramelized onion in and on them. I will have to keep my eyes open for some that meet that description. These worked great. Again, I may be spitting hairs. :)
DSCN7779A_640.jpg

Assembled they were one of the best things I have eaten in a loooong time. I can see a lot of these in my future! :cheer:
DSCN7763A_640.jpg

The glass bowls I use are a vintage set of Pyrex Bowls made in Corning, New York that I found in a thrift store for about $10 for the set of four. They sure don't make them like they used to! For those not aware, Corning Glass sold the name Pyrex in 1998 and it is no longer be the same glass. You can still find great deals on the original if you shop the thrift stores and flea markets.

Have a great day ALL,

Blair

Comments

• Egg Master 3000
    Options
    It didn't work! I just ate lunch and I still want to eat those sandwiches!
  • Gator Bait
    Options

You were warned, lol, I knew it was the wrong time of day to post this. :lol:

Blair

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Blair that looks so good.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Options
    Nice Blair
    Just pulled a bag of pork from the freezer
    Going to try the coke :)

Shane
  • Gator Bait
    Options

Thanks Mickey, it's hard not to snack on them before dinner. I had a couple last night and tonight I'm going back for more. :)

Blair

• Gator Bait
    Options

Thanks Shane, I added as much Coke as I could with out making them to wet after I sauced it. I haven't decided how much it helps but it sure doesn't hurt. I think it is fairly common practice.

Blair

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    I made the mistake of looking! Thanks alot -it looks so good.

I use a vinegar based dressing on the slaw, that goes great with the pork. Let me know if you want me to email the recipe. I know you have enough pork that you will need more slaw before too long.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • bees
    bees Posts: 335
    Options
    You weren't kidding,next time I'll wear a bib before looking- nice.
    Randy
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Send me a sandwich and let me be the judge. :woohoo: :P :laugh:
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    That looks so good. Decided to check the egghead forum on my phone during lunch. I didn't listen to your warning and clicked on your post. All I can say is thanks for ruining my lunch! My leftover Chicago deep dish pizza I was having for lunch tasted good until I read your post. Then I remembered I was having leftover pizza and not a pulled pork sandwich. Thanks alot!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Gator Bait
    Options

Hi Faith

You were warned! :lol:

I am amazed at how much weight you loose when you cook butts like this. I bet I lost half and it was probably a lot of eveporation of water. My drip pan had surprisingly little in it, I was expecting it to be near full. In the end when I had it all pulled I probably had about 7 pounds of pulled pork. Still many sandwiches!

I have one recipe:

Susan Mett's Marinated Coleslaw

Serves 9-12

1 head cabbage (about 7" in diameter)
    1 large onion, chopped or slivered
    1 cup sugar
    1 cup cider vinegar
    3/4 cup vegetable oil
    1 teaspoon dry mustard
    1 teaspoon celery seed
    1 teaspoon salt

In a large bowl, shred the cabbage and add the onion; mix in 1 cup sugar, minus 2 tablespoons. In a sauce pan, combine the remaining 2 tablespoons sugar, vinegar, oil, mustard, celery seed, and salt. Bring to a boil, stir constantly. Pour the hot mixture over the cabbage and mix. Cool. Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours before serving.

I just found this on page 121 of "holy smoke The Big Book of North Carolina Barbecue" by Reed, Reed & McKinny, an interesting read that I found in the books for sale at the local library for $2. The book has 9 1/2 pages just on slaws and a number of recipes and variations.

My dad used to make a very similar recipe that I can not put my finger on at the moment. Is this similar to yours? If not I would love to have yours. I know it has to be good if you use it! Thanks for the offer.

Blair

• Gator Bait
    Options

:lol: Thanks Randy, a couple more hours and it will be dinner time at last! I've been waiting all day!

Blair

• Gator Bait
    Options

Hey Tim, as soon as I figure out how to get the stamp to stick to it I will do just that. :lol:

Blair

• Gator Bait
    Options

Sorry for the sadistic timing on that post, I new it wasn't going to make everybody happy. :laugh:

I've had left over pizza that was pretty good, now your making me hungry! That is the worst thing about this forum, you can almost gain weight reading it. :)

Blair

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    No Man! Your gunna hafta put it in an envelope or them at the post office will eat it. :woohoo:

I got a better idea fax it to me. :laugh:
    (i knew there was a reason we still have fax machine's)
  • WWSis
    WWSis Posts: 1,448
    Options
    Wow, that looks awesome! Love coleslaw too... I have some of those bowls - picked up by my mom at a yard sale! :) 47 degrees yesterday, 4 overnight with windchill -18...high of 11 today, back up to 40's by Thursday! Typical late-winter weirdness! :laugh: :silly:
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Blair, The rolls, for me, make that a perfect looking plate. They add a little something to all the flavors.
    Thanks for sharing! As always, nice pictures!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Hahaha. Blair Don't know why but I'm still hungry that blues hog is a keeper
  • Gator Bait
    Options

I don't know about this Tim, every time I pick one up to fax it to you I end up eating it. It's a reflex action . . . honestly! :blink:

Darn!!! There goes another one! :P

Blair

• Gator Bait
    Options

Thanks Molly, glad to hear you had a good trip over the weekend. Your right, the rolls are a nice plus. I have read that traditionally cheap hamburger buns are the norm, like those made by Wonder Bread. That is what I was looking at when I saw these on the same shelf. These were fresher and I love a good onion roll/bun. The sandwiches I photographed for this post are the ones I had last night. The two I just had I piled on about twice as much pulled pork and cole slaw . . . they were twice as good! The slaw was juicier and the flavor came through better. :)

Blair

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Hearty sounds good. Unfortunatly, I am sick.
    I am almost finished uploading these pictures. There has to be a better way. Kinda ridiculous.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Gator Bait
    Options

Thanks Julia, these may be the best BBQ sandwiches I have ever had. Certainly the best I have ever made. I will be having these far more often. :)

I love these bowls! They do anything you can ask a bowl to do and look good too. Just don't drop them. LOL, I have what I assume is the full set, 4.

Your weather sounds insane! What makes you think this is "Typical late-winter weirdness!" It's only February 15! I love an optimist! :laugh:

Blair

• Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Hey Blair, that looks terriffic :ohmy: For a super simple slaw dressing try mixing equal parts of cider vinegar and splenda. The splenda will dissolve instantly in the vinegar and make a nice tart dressing! B)
  • Gator Bait
    Options

:( So sorry to hear you are sick my friend. I hope you are feeling better ASAP. :(

Yup, uploading photos can be a pain. Typical DSL allows the greatest speed when you are downloading from the internet. When you send data the other direction, uploading, it is much slower. It is a means of saving bandwidth and money. Such is life. :)

Blair
  • Gator Bait
    Options
    Thanks Frank, that dressing sounds worth trying, how simple can it be! It should be health as well. :)

Blair
  • Gator Bait
    Options
    Hey Beli

Thanks, I agree, the Blues Hog is worth ordering on line. I am hooked on it now and can't live without it . . . well, I probably could. :laugh:

Blair
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    You really dissapoint me! :( I thought you were a real son of the South) Hear you are putting cabbage on you pork!!! :blink: The shame!! Dang Yankie I married from North Arkansas eats slaw on hers as well. At least I got her eat'en grits after 21 years! :laugh: Just never figured you for one of "them"!! :P
  • Gator Bait
    Options

I have to confess, I was born in Boston! :blush:

At least I realized the error in my ways and left my Yankee roots behind me some 28 years ago. I can honestly say that I have lived the best of both worlds.

In truth my friend, I always thought that the addition of the slaw was a southern construct! Growing up in Massachusetts I don't recall eating any great BBQ sandwiches, there must have been a few but I didn't experience the truth of nirvana till reaching the beloved South. I mean, after all, what other region of the country can lay claim to the perfection of the sacred Boiled Peanut and Grits! And I say Long Live The South! I am still learning to love Hush Puppy's, to many are over cooked near tasteless balls of not much, others are a culinary delight. LOL, I think I have at least 25% Maple Syrup running through my veins and do still have some familiarity to my northern roots.

In the book "holy smoke, the definitive guide to the people, recipes, and lore, The Big Book Of North Carolina Barbecue" by Reed, Reed and Mckinney (2008 The University of North Carolina Press) page 128, I quote "It's simple: You take a bun, add a mound of chopped or pulled barbecue, a splash of sauce/dip, a topping of coleslaw, and thats it."

On the next page I quote "This is the dish that sent New York Times food columnist Craig Claiborne into rapture. "I will state unequivocally", Claiborn wrote, "that the chopped pork sandwich served in these two North Carolina areas [East and Piedmont] is by far my favorite kind of barbecue . . . . In a bun with a little cole slaw, it's as close to perfection as barbecue can be." love0029.gif

I hope your wife gets to read this. :laugh:

Blair