Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Self Cleaning Egg!

jbennyjbenny Posts: 147
edited 7:53AM in EggHead Forum
So I never realized the egg had a self cleaning function. I've been doing a couple of high heat cooks and this what the inside looks like:

c1f6c718.jpg

My platesetter looks very similar. Looks like I'll be doing a lo and slo next weekend.
·

Comments

• HossHoss Posts: 14,587
    That is what people mean when they talk about a clean burn.Load up the egg with lump and let it burn several hours at a high temp and the entire inside of the egg will look like that. ;)
    ·
  • jbennyjbenny Posts: 147
    I thought i had loaded it up enough to do 3 pizzas at 600 on Friday but the last 2 cooked at 500. It's amazing how much lump it takes to cook at 600, let me rephrase that. How much Kroger Lump it takes to cook at 600
    ·
  • HossHoss Posts: 14,587
    I know what ya mean.You can do a lo-n-slo for 24 hours and have a bunch left but when ya crank it up ya gotta feed it.
    ·
  • Capt FrankCapt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Kroger lump is the same as BGE, both made by Royal Oak, which is usually available at Wally World :)
    ·
  • jbennyjbenny Posts: 147
    I know, but Kroger has very few large pieces in my experience, not like Wal Mart of BGE
    ·
  • I totally agree with you on the size of lump from Kroger. Burned through it very quick and had trouble with long cooks. I was lucky and bought 23 bags of wicked good in a group buy. Have to say this stuff is by far the best lump I have ever used. 2 sears and 2 low n slow cooks from a half bag. :woohoo:
    ·