Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicago Style Ribeye

Options
llrickman
llrickman Posts: 654
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all I picked up a 2lb 3.5 inch thich chicago style bone in ribeye today to cook for this evening

I was wondering if any had done one before and how you had done it

I was thinking about searing for a few minutes on each side at about 700 then bringing the egg down to around 350-370 and cook till temp is around 130

any suggestions would be appreciated

Larry
2 LBGE
Digi Q
green Thermapen
AR

Albuquerque, NM

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    I have personally never done one that thick....and also depending on how much sear you like.....I would think to achieve a 130° internal on a 3 1/2" thick piece of meat, you would most likely have a good sear just cooking the thing at 400° dome for entire cook, flipping as needed...I expect it will take a decent amount of time to get to 130..I'm also basing these numbers on cooking it on a small egg, not a large..
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Larry,

I would hot tub it for at least an hour and grill at something south of 400* till you get your desired internal temp. That puppy borders on being a roast so you will get a fair bit of rise during the rest, maybe 10*.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• llrickman
    Options
    Ive done a prime rib about that size and did it in the same fashion but only once and just wanted some input from others thanks for the reply
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • llrickman
    Options
    Ive never hot tubbed anything before i'll search that could your explain what that does

Larry
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Larry,

You put the meat in a ziploc or foodsaver bag and immerse in hot water(100*)for a period of time. The meat heats to that temp and you get a faster cook with the level of doneness is consistent across the whole cross-section of the meat, instead of graduating from well-done at the exterior to whatever the middle is cooked to. IMHO the drying of the meat in the cooking process is reduced.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    quick sear remove and drop temps to below 325 and back on for the roast. will take 30 to 40 min to drop temps, what makes it chicago style
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • llrickman
    Options
    Thats what im gonna do. Might as well make it a all around experiment tonight.

After all its on the egg even if i screw up its still gonna be good lol well maybe
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • llrickman
    Options
    thats what it says in the meat counter

its a large bone in ribeye i'll post a pic of it a little later after work
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Don't think you will regret it ;)

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    here is one seared and slow roasted, it was a thinner two bone cooked like a steak then split. it was close to three inches plus or minus.

2005233303.jpg

01fd68e1.jpg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it