Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Early Valentine's Day lobster paella dinner

Vincent ChaseVincent Chase Posts: 146
edited 4:34PM in EggHead Forum
My girlfriend is taking a MA teacher's test prep class that meets on Mondays so we did a special dinner here tonight. We swore off the crowded restaurants and overpriced prix-fixe menu's for good after last year and decided to do a grilled lobster paella recipe, courtesy of Mario Batali.

Very nerve wracking cook. Maine lobsters, littleneck clams and mussels are pricey ingredients to work with, as was the saffron. Had the Egg stabilized at 350 and threw in strips of yellow, orange, and red bell peppers, yellow onions, and chorizo. Tossed in garlic last. Added 3 cups of arborio rice until they got a little toasty color on them, then added home made chicken stock and the saffron. Let that reduce and added the par-boiled lobster and the rest of the seafood.

A very tasty cook, although I failed to get the crusty bottom that is the hallmark of properly grilled paella. Although more a microbrew guy then a wine drinker, we had a nice Spanish tempranillo that paired well with our dinner. Bout to get my pressure cooker set up for lobster stock!

IMG_0908.jpg
IMG_0907.jpg

Happy Valentine's Day everyone!
·

Comments

• HossHoss Posts: 14,587
    VERY pretty. :)
    ·
  • What a beautiful presentation of a special dinner! :)
    ·
  • rsmdalersmdale Posts: 2,472
    Nice!!!! Ilove Paella.

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE
    ·
  • That looks like it was a tasty dinner.
    ·
  • Wow! B)
    ·
  • thechief96thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    Very Nice. Looks quite good.
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
    ·
  • Egg JujuEgg Juju Posts: 658
    Looks delicious... one of my favorite things.
    Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com
    ·
  • It looks like a great effort, and a beautiful presentation. I'm sure your GF loved it.
    ·
  • Mr HollowayMr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Nice looking meal
    Great pics :)

Shane
    ·
  • Thanks for all the nice feedback everyone! FWIW, I bought a 13.5 inch paella pan at Williams and Sonoma for $20, which I didn't think was too bad. Batali's recipe was definitely meant for more than two people and a bigger paella pan; after I took those pictures, I had to stuff I'd say another 15 mussels and a pound of shrimp on there! It looked a little ridiculous from a presentation standpoint but came out good nonetheless. An expensive meal for sure but we splurged for the holiday and it still came out less expensive than a night out at a restaurant.
    ·
  • Photo EggPhoto Egg Posts: 3,784
    That is a beautiful cook...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
    ·