Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wicked Cherry Chipotle

Options
Gretl
Gretl Posts: 670
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This was posted recently on the Food/Wine Discussion list (called Cherry Cha Cha Chipotle Chicken; that title is just TOO silly ) and was the winner of the 2003 Oregon Fryer Commission recipe contest. There, I'm giving proper credit.[p]Originally written for skillet-sauteed chicken breasts, here's my Egg adaptation. I used about 12 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, spread them with about 2 T canola oil, and gave them an all-over generous sprinkling of Ken Stone's Wicked Grin rub. I Egged them direct on a raised grid at about 350, turning a couple of times, until internal temp measured 160. This took about 40 minutes, give or take. I placed them in the skillet with the sauce, and heated it the whole thing up for a few minutes. Served it with brown rice and steamed broccoli with lime. It turned out just great. This sauce should be perfect for pork, too. I'll definitely make it again. And if I EVER get motivated enough, I'll learn how to post pictures.[p]Cherry Chipotle Sauce
2 T Unsalted butter
1/2 C Chopped shallots
1 T Minced garlic (I used much more)
1 tsp Ground cumin
2 Whole bay leaves
1/3 C Merlot
1 T Finely minced canned chipotle chilies in adobo (I use much more)
2 T Balsamic vinegar
1/2 C Cherry preserves
1/2 C Chopped dried tart cherries[p]In a large skillet on medium-low heat, melt the butter and sautee the shallots until transparent. Add the garlic and cumin, and cook for another minute. Add the bay leaves, merlot, chipotle chilies, vinegar, cherry preserves, and dried cherries. Simmer gently over low heat until sauce is reduced and slightly thickened. If you want to make it even thicker, add about a tablespoon cornstarch dissolved in 2 tablespoons cold water and bring to a boil.

Comments

• Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    Gretl,
    Hey girl! We really need to see the pic of this one. Think of it as a favor to the rest of us. BTW...I had to find a new host for my pics the other night, and followed the Whiz's advise on his site. Had it done and was posting in about 5 minutes. How's the weather?[p]Mike

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Gretl,[p]Hey there! Long time no "see"...[p]This sounds scrumptious. Thanks for sharing it.[p]Tonia
    :~)

• Gretl
    Options
    Lawn Ranger,
    In a four-letter word, COLD. But today was beautifully sunny, which is rare around here. The temperature was 5 above when I left for work this morning. Tomorrow is supposed to be even colder.[p]I'll work on that phot thang. I promise.[p]Cheers,
    G.

• Gretl
    Options
    QBabe,
    Yeah, my nose has been to the computer grindstone lately. I'm such a slacker by nature that when I actually WORK, it totally wears me out. But I do check the Forum, and I'm always Egging. It's good hearing from you. "Hi" to Larry.
    Cheers,
    G.

• DTM
    DTM Posts: 127
    Options
    Yo Gretl,
    Thanks for the recipe. Very timely for me. I've been reading the raspberry chipotle....fruit chipotle stuff. Out here in Sept we pick huckleberries high up in the mountains. Related to blueberries w/ 10x plus the flavor. I've been conjuring up an experiment and this recipe will be a great starting point.
    Thanks
    Dan