Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ham Ribs???

Options
Mary
Mary Posts: 190
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Maybe some of you rib eggsperts can tell what happened. I did up some babybacks with the charcrust SW rub - It was on the ribs only a couple hours before i put them on the egg. This time I kept the egg really low and slow - 200F most of the time and up to just under 250 near the end - indirect with 3 thin firebricks under them - for 6 hours. the ribs were extremely tender and tasty, but they tasted like ham. What did that? I realize ribs are pork and ham is pork, but I've never had fresh pork taste like ham before, no matter what i did to it (never actually tried to make ham). Anybody know why this happened?[p]Mary

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Mary,[p]I am not sure it could be anything else but the reaction of the rub to the meat. I have never used char-crust on ribs so I can't tell you if that is it for sure but there couldn't be much else. You didn't use mesquite lump did you? That would add yet another taste to the mix. [p]Tim
  • Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Options
    Mary,[p]Is this the same brand of baby backs you usually buy? Is it possible they were brined or cured? That would result in a ham flavor. [p]Cathy
  • Mary
    Options
    Cat,
    No, they Smithfield lean generation - 1st time for me. I'll look again at the label and see if they have salt on it. Thanks.[p]Mary

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Mary,
    I am curious why your asking about salt on the ribs. The Char-Crust has a lot in it. [p]Tim

• Mary
    Options
    Tim M,
    Maybe that's why they tasted like ham? Does ham get cured in 7 hours? [p]Mary

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Options
    Mary,[p]Smithfield Lean Generation pork cooks faster than meat with a higher fat content. So maybe it absorbs salt faster too?[p]Cathy
  • JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    Mary,
    Actually I have been trying to get a little 'ham' taste to my ribs. I think that by doing them low and real slow with no brining or marinating, you might have just found the secret. And it sort of adds a good taste to the ribs if they aren't ham all the way through.
    JimW