Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need ideas for chicken thighs

egghead2004
egghead2004 Posts: 430
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'll be home early this afternnon and have 1/2 dozen chicken thighs my wife wants me to cook for her. Just looking for a few good ideas to try tonight. Any Thoughts?

Comments

• Freak
    Freak Posts: 79
    egghead2004,[p]I would say season with a mellow blend, slow cook w/ a little smoke, and mix the meat in with a nice risotto (maybe with different shrooms). Mixed green salad, some fresh bread...[p]-Tom
  • Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    egghead2004,[p]The wife made some at 250 or so for seven hours. they were slightly overdone but still great. You could do them at 250 or 260 for five or six hours and they'd be perfect.[p]slow cooked chicken rules
  • "risotto"[p]Good call, I have not had any in a while. I wonder if I can sneak some good cheese in there somewhere. I have brocolli, carrots, and spinach in the fridge already....hmmm....
  • Mark Backer,
    I saw those pics, looking good. You're right about slow cooked chicken. I will only have 3 hours or so to cook this time, maybe 275-300 on a raised grid indirect on the small will do it? I wish I had ordered one of those thremapens the first go around so I don't overcook these, but the link that was posted showed the price $395.00. What I did not see was that was for 6 thermapens. I saw all you folks buying these things like hotcakes and wondering what kind of jobs do you people have?

• Mark Backer
    egghead2004,[p]I was thinking the same thing at 70 bucks when I was about the 80th person to buy one. LOL[p]Interestingly enough, I was at the mothership yesterday (as you might have heard) and they are now selling a BGE branded polder insta-read that is nearly identical in appearance to the thermapen we are talking about. I don't know how "instant" it is, but the cost was 39.95[p]Something to consider. Not for today, obviously, but sometime.[p]As for the indirect elevated chicken cook, I'd say 275ish would be about right. Besides, if you overcook it, you can STILL make the best smoked chicken salad you've ever tasted in your life. We did.
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    egghead2004,[p]You'll make great chicken thighs in 2 hours direct on a raised grid keeping the dome temp between 250 and 275.
    Flip every 20 minutes or so. And if you want the skin a little crispier, finish them off by raising the temp to 300 or more keeping an eye on them until the skin is nice and brown.
    Very easy, never fails falling off the bone moist and tender.... good luck![p]john

• Mark Backer,[p]Chicken thighs will cook done in about 2 hours and 45 minutes at 250 degrees measured at the cooking grid. Any longer than this will just cook all the moisture out of them. [p]Dave

• bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    Mark Backer,
    I bought one of the BGE look-a-likes at the last eggtoberfest. It definitely is NOT instant read.
    Regards, bobbyb

• Mark Backer
    bobbyb,[p]That's what I wanted to know. [p]Thanks.
  • Freak
    Freak Posts: 79
    egghead2004,[p]Asiago is good, add a pat of butter and a touch of cream at the very end. [p]-Tom
  • BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    WooDoggies,
    "Very easy, never fails falling off the bone moist and tender.... good luck!"

moist and tender.....and WD has the juice stains on his shirt to prove it! I was there and saw him actually squirted with juice from thighs cooked with this method!
    Qfan
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    egghead2004,[p]Direct on a raised grid, 250°-275° for maybe 2 hrs. I love Tsunami Spin on chicken thighs...[p]Very simple, easy and the most tender, juicy chicken you'll ever eat.[p]Tonia
    :~)