Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another bacon project

Options
Chief Chef
Chief Chef Posts: 199
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
All of this talk about bacon casued me to go to Jungle Jim's at lunchtime for a couple of smallish pork bellies (2.5+/-lbs)but I was unable to get "pink salts". I did pick up Morton's Tender Quick Cure. Follow the directions on the Morton's package or go in search of an alternate recipe? All suggestions appreciated.

Comments

• Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    I haven't ever seen pink salt for sale anywhere other than online, but when I made corned beef last March, I asked the butcher I bought the brisket from if he had any. He sold me enough to corn the brisket, from his own supply, but he charged me an arm and a leg.
  • vohsmk
    vohsmk Posts: 40
    Options
    We buy our bellies at Jungle Jim as well and follow the directions on the back of the Morton's curing salt package. We also ended up buying the Chef's Choice 610 slicer from there because we are now curing bacon every week. The recipe works well. We smoke the bacon with apple and it turns out really yummy. :P
  • Chief Chef
    Options
    I'll be over in a week or so to try out your slicer! Just joshing. I was going to do one with regular cure and apple wood smoke and one with cure, maple syrup and a little brown sugar and maple wood smoke. Thanks for the feedback.
  • PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    Options
    You guys are killing me. I make a pilgrimage to JJs twice a year. It is my MECCA. Can't wait for my spring foray. I'll announce it here on the forum. A JJ experience.