Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.


In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Steven Raichlen is not schooled on the Egg!

124»

Comments

  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    i understand your point. this isn't rocket surgery.

    i frankly don't think you see mine

    i have taken pains to explain what i am actually thinking, hoping you'll see my point. but your replies are simply dismissive. so, to hell with being civil. i didn't reply to you so that i could practice typing. i thought it might be possible to actually discuss it.

    your typical response has been an offhand dig or a one-liner. viz: "you're right too, max".

    so, if you are going to be sarcastic, why get upset when someone decide to fight sarcasm with sarcasm?

    as for threatening us with your "leaving" or going to another forum... i can't help that. i am not pushing you out the door any more than you are trying to get me to go...

    frankly, the guy on the forum who declares "i am done" or threatens to leave... well. it's a bit cliche'.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • rocket surgery.......now that is funny ;)
  • deepsouthdeepsouth Posts: 1,796
    Fidel wrote:
    For what's it's worth I remained civil in tone and didn't call anyone any names. We don't agree on this, but that doesn't mean I harbor any dislike or disrespect for you. I hope that is mutual, but somehow I doubt it.

    I apologize if you're incensed over this, and I certainly don't think I did or wrote anything that would make you think we can't be friends. Why can't people disagree, have a civil debate over an issue, then lay down arms and share a few beers?

    The only one mentioning anything about running off to another forum is you. If you feel chased off then you misinterpret my (and everyone else's) intentions.

    no, you didn't resort to name calling and i respect and understand that.

    and yes, i am/was a bit incensed over this as all i was trying to do was make a point (i wasn't the one that started the thread, rememeber) and apparently, i'm the only one who understands it. this is ok and cool with me. i can't make everyone understand things all the time and perhaps my wording is not eloquent enough. i don't know.....

    if it matters, i actually understand everything you said/typed, but i don't think collectively we understood each other. i think i was talking apples and you were talking oranges. in any event, that's not enough to make a fruit salad.


    not sure how to interpret Stike calling me an ****.... where i come from, i know what that means. i'm not sure what it means wherever he's from, but i don't think it's ever a term of endearment in ANY case.

    so yeah, i may have threatened to run off to another website, but why would i want to hang out at a forum where when one person doesn't understand another all of a sudden i'm an ****?
  • CBBQCBBQ Posts: 610
    So let me see if I'm catching your meaning. If I am doing 12 hr low and slow "direct" in an egg SR is saying I need to keep some space between the meat and and fire. Otherwise I will burn the outside of the meat before the inside is done. Now from looking at it, the only way to have that needed space between the fire and the meat is to not have that much lump in the egg. Filling it up to the top of the firebox compromises the needed distance between lump and meat, thus changing the dynamics of the cook or method. So in order to keep that distance you have to use a lot less lump therefore requiring you add lump a few times.
    Remember a few years ago when someone out west kept talking about cooking everything fast, fast and fast? The outrage around here was unbelievable. Then about a year and a half ago a lot of people were touting the Myron Mixon way of FAST without much controversy. It was like "Wow! A new way to cook a butt/brisket".
  • deepsouthdeepsouth Posts: 1,796
    stike wrote:
    i understand your point. this isn't rocket surgery.

    i frankly don't think you see mine

    i have taken pains to explain what i am actually thinking, hoping you'll see my point. but your replies are simply dismissive. so, to hell with being civil. i didn't reply to you so that i could practice typing. i thought it might be possible to actually discuss it.

    your typical response has been an offhand dig or a one-liner. viz: "you're right too, max".

    so, if you are going to be sarcastic, why get upset when someone decide to fight sarcasm with sarcasm?

    as for threatening us with your "leaving" or going to another forum... i can't help that. i am not pushing you out the door any more than you are trying to get me to go...

    frankly, the guy on the forum who declares "i am done" or threatens to leave... well. it's a bit cliche'.


    you called me an **** before i got sarcastic.
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    CBBQ wrote:
    So let me see if I'm catching your meaning. If I am doing 12 hr low and slow "direct" in an egg SR is saying I need to keep some space between the meat and and fire. Otherwise I will burn the outside of the meat before the inside is done. Now from looking at it, the only way to have that needed space between the fire and the meat is to not have that much lump in the egg. Filling it up to the top of the firebox compromises the needed distance between lump and meat, thus changing the dynamics of the cook or method. So in order to keep that distance you have to use a lot less lump therefore requiring you add lump a few times.

    that's exactly what he's been saying.
    i wouldn't do it that way myself, and i'm damn sure glad the egg doesn't require cooking it like that, but that's pretty much what Raichlen appeared to be doing.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • CBBQCBBQ Posts: 610
    Naw. You, me and almost everyone else around here would use a raised grid with a little more lump. Although I didn't see those toys lying around in the video. But he does in fact show a way of doing it direct. I thought the great thing about the BGE was it's versatility. LOL.
  • I get what deepsouth is saying here, and I think he has a point. Why use the Egg in a demonstration, then use it in a completely atypical way? If you're demonstrating a *method* suited to, say, a Weber kettle, why not demonstrate using a Weber kettle?

    And, let's remember that even in a Weber kettle, there are ways to cook with indirect heat using a barrier. I'm not sure why Raichlen would choose to teach proven neophytes a method that would require not only much closer monitoring and maintenance, but also is much more sensitive to small miscues in making the product turn out poorly.
  • deepsouthdeepsouth Posts: 1,796
    Jeffersonian wrote:
    I get what deepsouth is saying here, and I think he has a point. Why use the Egg in a demonstration, then use it in a completely atypical way? If you're demonstrating a *method* suited to, say, a Weber kettle, why not demonstrate using a Weber kettle?

    And, let's remember that even in a Weber kettle, there are ways to cook with indirect heat using a barrier. I'm not sure why Raichlen would choose to teach proven neophytes a method that would require not only much closer monitoring and maintenance, but also is much more sensitive to small miscues in making the product turn out poorly.

    THANK YOU!


    i knew somebody had to understand my point.
  • Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 10,525
    Jeffersonian wrote:
    I get what deepsouth is saying here, and I think he has a point.

    I got what he was saying about 8 hours ago! I agree with him too. For that matter, that was the point of the OP.

    I don't care how many cookers Raichlen has, or whether (or how well) he knows how to use an egg - if he's going to teach a method, he should teach it on the cooker best suited for that method.

    Not sure what happened here.

    I will not eat oysters. I want my food dead. Not sick, not wounded... dead.

                                                      Woody Allen

    Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

  • ChubbyChubby Posts: 2,956
    Jason...

    I think it's fair to say,(though addmittedly my opinion) that lots of folks "understand your point"..,but in fact, they just don't agree with it!

    I'm not saying "that I do or don't"...but what is it in your thinking that convinces you, that "if they only understood you".., they'd agree with you?

    Clearly..,(now in your 174'th follow- up posting)...(ok just joking...lol!!!) that is undoubtedly what you're implying!

    That "finally...somebody get's it"!!!

    :whistle:

    I guess I don't get what's wrong with folks not accepting your premise.., and by extension...your conclusions.

    It's ok..,to disagree..,even here!

    Goodn's Jason!!

    ;)
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • CBBQCBBQ Posts: 610
    I agree with you Chubby. The thread started as "SR is not schooled on the egg". He is in fact schooled enough to show an "atypical" way to use it. Now you know everyone of us would raise the grid and use more lump but that doesn't make him wrong.
    Jeffersonian, do you mean to tell me you can't find all of those exotic ingredients for some of his recipes at Global Market near you?
  • deepsouthdeepsouth Posts: 1,796
    Chubby wrote:
    Jason...

    I think it's fair to say,(though addmittedly my opinion) that lots of folks "understand your point"..,but in fact, they just don't agree with it!

    I'm not saying "that I do or don't"...but what is it in your thinking that convinces you, that "if they only understood you".., they'd agree with you?

    Clearly..,(now in your 174'th follow- up posting)...
    (ok just joking...lol!!!) that is undoubtedly what you're implying!

    That "finally...somebody get's it"!!!

    :whistle:

    I guess I don't get what's wrong with folks not accepting your premise.., and by extension...your conclusions.

    It's ok..,to disagree..,even here!

    Goodn's Jason!!

    ;)


    greets chubby. hope you're good.

    i'm totally cool with people disagreeing with me. but for a while, it was back and forth with me and stike and fidel and seemingly (to me) neither got what i was saying as stike kept asking me what my point was.

    finally, someone else jumped in and apparently explained what i was trying to get at better than me.

    and i'm still not the **** that stike implied i was.

    cheers.

    thank jebus for homebrew club meeting tonight!
  • ChubbyChubby Posts: 2,956
    Well Jason.., Im not qualified to comment on the "****" part of your reply.., so I will take your word for it!! lol!!!

    While some have implied here that "I might also bear some resemblance to the afformentioned orafice"...I just don't see it!!

    :woohoo: :woohoo:

    Then again...it's said that "we" are always the last to recognize it!!!

    LMAO!!!

    Have a great "Brew Nite"!!

    Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    perhaps i too quickly trotted out the 'offending' word which apparently has scarred you for life. i'm sorry. truly.

    but i don't think it was premature to say it. not very classy. sure, which is why i editted it. although i basically ;drew' it with an emoticon meaning the same thing. i'm childish. once in evry 15,000 posts i use that word. i apologize for it. not to you, but to the forum.

    i have a pretty good sense for when someone is being one "of those things". heck, i'm probably i'm being one now.

    both i and fidel had taken time to give you a pretty well considered answer. you replied to me with "actually, i did". fidel got "i'm sorry, i thought you actually watched the video". cute.

    neither of us were being asses to you up to that point, but since you felt like it was appropriate to be dismissive, i no longer had any qualms about being dismissive myself. in a moment of keyboard bravado, i broke down and called you a potty-word...

    so yeah, i called you an ( )*( ), but that's only because you'd acted like one

    what you seem to completely not understand is that both of us agreed that anyone cooking a clod on a BGE would have a much easier time doing it indirect, with a full load of lump. that means that we both UNDERSTAND your point. not even your point, actually. many people made that point. and. I . Agree. i don;'t think it means the guy has to cook everything on a BGE the way we would though.

    you just don't seem to understand that it's also possible the guy could really give a rat's adze about the BGE specifics, and he just cooked the thing the way he always does, direct, over a little charcoal. just so happens he used the BGE. i agree with you further that he really looks like he doesn't understand the BGE when doing it that way, but of the three of us, you, me, him, one of us is making a crapload of money off his reputation as a bbq guru, and might just be able to cook the clod that way.

    just because i wouldn't, and you wouldn't, doesn't mean he is wrong.

    he was not there to pimp the BGE.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • deepsouthdeepsouth Posts: 1,796
    i'm sorry, but i still don't think that using a cooking method "within the realm of possibilites" is an acceptable teaching method.
  • I suppose if I looked hard to find them, I could. But there's something about Raichlen's book that seems, well, forced.
  • CBBQCBBQ Posts: 610
    I think the words that come to mind when I think about him are "polished" and "generic".
  • CBBQCBBQ Posts: 610
    Jason,
    I'm not saying this to argue but I do in fact use that method on an egg every weekend at a farmer's market and at fairs. The reason I do it is so that I can have direct heat and browning capabilities without having to keep an eye on it. If I get tied up doing something else for a few minutes I don't have to worry about burning the outside of food. I have to put lump in 2-3 times a day but it's very effective.
  • I'd agree with the second and go as far as saying he's polished to the point of being slick. Take that as you will. Adam Perry Lang, he ain't.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Click here for Forum Use Guidelines.