Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.


In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Steven Raichlen is not schooled on the Egg!

13

Comments

  • deepsouthdeepsouth Posts: 1,796
    Judy Mayberry wrote:
    I sent the post and link to the video to Steven Raichlen, and explained what was so eye-catching, and got this reply. Not much of an answer, really.

    Hi, Judy,

    Steven has owned an Egg for several years, but uses it mostly for baking bread or pizzas. Am not sure if he's done a long cook on it. He has a lot of grills at his disposal. (I have an Egg, too, but would be the first to admit I don't know everything about it.)

    Nancy Loseke
    Culinary Producer, Primal Grill

    this is really all that matters...... teach your breads and pizza on an egg and use "a lot of grills at your disposal" to teach how to cook a clod.

    sorry if i'm ruffling feathers here, but i'd be pi$$ed if i took a class and had an egg (that i had just purchased and didn't know how to use) and tried to cook a 20 lb clod low and slow with no platesetter.
  • FidelFidel Posts: 10,172
    What misinformation did he give? Maybe different information that what you and others might have preferred, but I'm pretty confident that the beef he cooked turned out just fine.
  • deepsouthdeepsouth Posts: 1,796
    Fidel wrote:
    What misinformation did he give? Maybe different information that what you and others might have preferred, but I'm pretty confident that the beef he cooked turned out just fine.


    i'm sorry. i assumed you watched the video.
  • FidelFidel Posts: 10,172
    I did, what misinformation did he give?
  • deepsouthdeepsouth Posts: 1,796
    500 wrote:
    He uses an Egg here at the 2:05 mark. At 2:20 he says something that made me think, "He's never used an Egg before." Watch.

    http://video.aol.com/aolvideo/aol-living/kitchendaily-steven-raichlen-texas-clod-video/97688565001

    Carolina Q wrote:
    Maybe he was cooking at 600° or so. hahaha

    I'm not a Raichlen fan - and this is yet another reason.

    The Naked Whiz wrote:
    Wow.


    or did everyone else watch a different video?
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    ah. so you're just a ()*() then. :laugh:
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    rod, obviously you aren't as smart as this guy.

    give it up.

    when you force him to quippy one-liners, instead of his actually answering the question, he's won.

    i mean, YOU know he has no idea what he's talking about, but his snarky response looks to everyone else like he does. and so he gets to go away having 'beaten' the great fidel.

    you lost. take it like a man.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • FidelFidel Posts: 10,172
    No, I finally get it. There's only one way to do something - the deepsouth way - and if you don't do it that way then you are wrong. Or something like that. I think.
  • deepsouthdeepsouth Posts: 1,796
    stike wrote:
    rod, obviously you aren't as smart as this guy.

    give it up.

    when you force him to quippy one-liners, instead of his actually answering the question, he's won.

    i mean, YOU know he has no idea what he's talking about, but his snarky response looks to everyone else like he does. and so he gets to go away having 'beaten' the great fidel.

    you lost. take it like a man.

    dude, what are you talking about?

    how are my responses snarky?


    i'm not in a pissing contest, so there aren't winners or losers.....

    real confused what YOU are talking about though.
  • deepsouthdeepsouth Posts: 1,796
    Fidel wrote:
    No, I finally get it. There's only one way to do something - the deepsouth way - and if you don't do it that way then you are wrong. Or something like that. I think.


    huh? let me ask you one question.....

    why was this thread posted?
  • FidelFidel Posts: 10,172
    someone thought Raichlen had never used an egg before. He has, for a lot longer than a good many people that are on this forum.

    I have no problem with reading comprehension, but the thread took a couple of left turns since the original post. You jumped into one of the diversions and still have failed to answer the misinformation question.
  • deepsouthdeepsouth Posts: 1,796
    Fidel wrote:
    someone thought Raichlen had never used an egg before. He has, for a lot longer than a good many people that are on this forum.

    I have no problem with reading comprehension, but the thread took a couple of left turns since the original post. You jumped into one of the diversions and still have failed to answer the misinformation question.

    SR puts the clod on the egg and says you need to cook this for 12-14 hours at a very low temp. (appears to put clod in egg without platesetter)

    he then says....

    "you have to replentish the coals every 3 to 4 hours in the egg."


    keep in mind, he's supposed to be cooking this "low and slow for 12-14 hours"

    when was the last time you went low and slow knowing something was going to need at least 12 hours and had to reload after 3 or 4 hours, again, low and slow?


    i give up. hope that answers your question. i've got nothing else.
  • deepsouthdeepsouth Posts: 1,796
    stike wrote:
    ah. so you're just a ()*() then. :laugh:

    call me an **** if you want. talk to a few forum members that have met me. if you want a list, i can happily provide one.
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    boys... boys. can't you see? Raichlen has turned you against each other... it's what he was TRYING to do, and you fell for it. Soon we'll all be not talking to each other, and in-fighting, and Raichlen will have won. Please don't let that happen... (openly sobbing)....
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • FidelFidel Posts: 10,172
    yes, he does say that. And the way he has it set up and the method he is using, just consider that he is correct!

    If he only put in enough lump to cover the holes in the firebox then YES he will have to replenish the coals every few hours. Consider that he may have done it this way on purpose to more replicate a generic type cooker setup so his audience can replicate it at home no matter what cooker they have - that is why these people paid money to be there in the first place. They aren't there to learn how to cook on an egg. They are there to learn how to cook BBQ.

    Just because he has it set up differently doesn't make it wrong. I concur that he could have it jam packed with lump and walk away for 12 hours but he chose not to do it that way.

    You're being overly myopic here, perhaps a little on purpose.
  • deepsouthdeepsouth Posts: 1,796
    Fidel wrote:
    yes, he does say that. And the way he has it set up and the method he is using, just consider that he is correct!

    If he only put in enough lump to cover the holes in the firebox then YES he will have to replenish the coals every few hours. Consider that he may have done it this way on purpose to more replicate a generic type cooker setup so his audience can replicate it at home no matter what cooker they have - that is why these people paid money to be there in the first place.

    Just because he has it set up differently doesn't make it wrong. I concur that he could have it jam packed with lump and walk away for 12 hours but he chose not to do it that way.

    You're being overly myopic here, perhaps a little on purpose.

    you win, i lose. back over to the brethren forum i go......
  • FidelFidel Posts: 10,172
    It wasn't an EGG class for new BGE customers --- that's where you're getting your dander up for the wrong reason.
  • 500500 Posts: 2,395
    Wow, I would have never thought that something I posted would have gotten this much attention. I've enjoyed and learned a few things from the offshoots of this thread. Thanks for the info on clods and cuts of beef. I have to retract my original statement that Steven Raichlen has never used an Egg before. I would now think that he has, but as Fidel stated, he's explaining a concept, not a tutorial on how to use an Egg. That would be a different class. I guess I originally expected him to be proficient on every cooker ever made. Maybe I gave him more credit than he deserves there. He's cooking low and slow, however he feels like doing it. Maybe it works best for him to not have a plate setter and let the juices drip on the coals, imparting a more rustic flavor of the grease sizzling as it hits the coals. Although I've never purchased his books, I still believe he's a great Barbeque chef, however he gets it done.
    Large BGE; Midlothian, Virginia
    I like Pig Butts and I can not lie.
    "Barbecue is a journey, one meal at a time."
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    FWIW, fishlessman does his low and slow cooks without a platesetter, and set up very high away from the coals.

    he's implied that on rib cooks, he uses just enough lump to keep it low and away from the meat. i don't think he's done a butt cook like that (or clod), but following fishless' logic, if he DID do something that took quite a bit of time, he'd have a situation like the one Raichlen is explaining.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • deepsouthdeepsouth Posts: 1,796
    stike wrote:
    FWIW, fishlessman does his low and slow cooks without a platesetter, and set up very high away from the coals.

    he's implied that on rib cooks, he uses just enough lump to keep it low and away from the meat. i don't think he's done a butt cook like that (or clod), but following fishless' logic, if he DID do something that took quite a bit of time, he'd have a situation like the one Raichlen is explaining.


    Dude put his clod at normal grate level, not way up. Anyway, not even sure why I checked this thread again..,
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    he was showing them how he cooks a clod. the cooker just happened to be a BGE.

    it remains that the guy was not teaching new egg owners how to cook on the egg, or how to use (or not) a platesetter.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • deepsouthdeepsouth Posts: 1,796
    stike wrote:
    he was showing them how he cooks a clod. the cooker just happened to be a BGE.

    it remains that the guy was not teaching new egg owners how to cook on the egg, or how to use (or not) a platesetter.


    so, by that logic, it's ok for someone teaching a cake cooking class to throw the cake on the open campfire instead of an oven..... doesn't matter what you are cooking something on, right?

    i give. you both win!
  • MaineggMainegg Posts: 7,787
    BOYS!!! BOYS!!! to your rooms right now!! enough! any more and Jeff you will be out in the yard shoveling one side to the other and back again! and just because I said so! Rod!! be good and leave deepsouth alone! or you can spend the evening counting Charlies hairs!
    I agree. he is showing a cook with a piece of meat. on an Egg.. he would not have used that terminology with a gas grill and I am sure he owns one of those too. and he would not have loaded lump into a gas grill. he was on an egg. why would you set it up to need lump in 3-4 hours?? no sense. I think he miss spoke and it should have been cut. he is talented and human. WE ALL ARE. now be good or else. where is little steven when you need him???
  • They sound so much like a married couple that I was going to suggest them getting a room :silly:
  • MaineggMainegg Posts: 7,787
    no they need to be separated... cabin fever I think LOL
  • well, i'm gonna join in on the fun now...

    "so, by that logic, it's ok for someone teaching a cake cooking class to throw the cake on the open campfire instead of an oven..... doesn't matter what you are cooking something on, right? "

    JASON, you just defended raichlen with your statement there....YES, it is ok to through a cake on an open fire if you can demonstrate that its a successful way of cooking one....

    by your logic, there is only one way to cook a butt, brisket, chicken, whatever....i have spent a lot of time teaching people how to cook a mad-max turkey for instance, on any number of cookers, kettles, offsets, gassers, ovens, etc. ...my point to people is that you can do the technique in any sort of cooker, not just an egg, with a some simple modifications to your technique....

    i personnally cook briskets at least 3 - 4 different ways on the egg ....standard indirect lo and slo....modified indirect fast and hot....smoked then braised in a covered pot....there is more than one way to cook somethng successfully. ...

    you still aren't accepting the basic fact that reichlen is teaching for the masses, most of whom aren't egg owners, and he's demonstrating a technique that can be used on all cookers, not just ceramic cookers. . ..and he simply used an egg for the demo instead of a kettle or offset or gasser. ..

    and this isn't a matter of winning or losing, its simply accepting the premise that you can teach a technique on the egg that will work for all cookers. ...why is that so hard??
  • deepsouthdeepsouth Posts: 1,796
    you are right too max.
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    you have never once replied with any sort of logical clear simple answer. you simply quote the entire previous post, then throw out a sarcastic remark that adds nothing to the discussion.

    i don't think you are qualified to use the phrase "by that logic..." because you haven't demonstrated any

    and as for your analog, you are simply proving our point: if you are demonstrating how to cook a cake, and you have successfully cooked them by pouring the batter on the fire, then go ahead, please do. show us how. i would use a pan myself, but i'm here to learn how you do it. it does not matter whether the stones of that fire are arranged in a circle or square. that's not his point.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • deepsouthdeepsouth Posts: 1,796
    stike wrote:
    you have never once replied with any sort of logical clear simple answer. you simply quote the entire previous post, then throw out a sarcastic remark that adds nothing to the discussion.

    i don't think you are qualified to use the phrase "by that logic..." because you haven't demonstrated any

    and as for your analog, you are simply proving our point: if you are demonstrating how to cook a cake, and you have successfully cooked them by pouring the batter on the fire, then go ahead, please do. show us how. i would use a pan myself, but i'm here to learn how you do it. it does not matter whether the stones of that fire are arranged in a circle or square. that's not his point.


    if you don't understand my point (or fidel or max), i can't help that.

    i had forgotten why i had begun spending more time over at the bbqbrethren forum than here. thanks for reminding me!

    i can even talk politics with those guys and remain friends!

    your putdowns to me in this thread are far worse than my alleged sarcasm.


    remember, it was YOU a few posts back that called ME and ****. (of course you edited out the **** part, but i rememeber and saw it.)

    did you forget that?
  • FidelFidel Posts: 10,172
    For what's it's worth I remained civil in tone and didn't call anyone any names. We don't agree on this, but that doesn't mean I harbor any dislike or disrespect for you. I hope that is mutual, but somehow I doubt it.

    I apologize if you're incensed over this, and I certainly don't think I did or wrote anything that would make you think we can't be friends. Why can't people disagree, have a civil debate over an issue, then lay down arms and share a few beers?

    The only one mentioning anything about running off to another forum is you. If you feel chased off then you misinterpret my (and everyone else's) intentions.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Click here for Forum Use Guidelines.