Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flat Iron Fajitas

Options
Rolling Egg
Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We decided to cook fajitas tonight for the family, so I was off to Publix for the goods. I always use skirt steak for my meat but they were out. After checking another store which was out as well, I settled on some flat irons that were looking good. This was the first flat irons I've ever cooked and they were mighty tasty. I seared them on my CI griddle for about 5 minutes per side and then sliced against the grain. Added them back to my onions and peppers when they were almost done. Does anyone use flat irons over skirt steak? These were expensive in my opinion ( 5.99 lb) but I didnt have much of an option. They were good but the price kinda flared me.

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I almost always use flat irons for fajitas. When the store has them on sale - usually $3.99 per pound - I buy them all and toss them in the deep freeze.
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    Flatirons are far and away my favorite steak for slicing for fajitas.

I do not recall the price around here, but I don't think they are all that mich different than flank steak.

I fixed this one last week.

03-02-11Fajitas2-1.jpg
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    I can get Flat Irons in this one horse town in KS for the same price per #. Never Never is Skirt available here! :sick: :(
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap