Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken and Pasta alla Zippy.......

Options
Florida Grillin Girl
Florida Grillin Girl Posts: 4,973
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was in the mood for chicken and pasta tonight and I remembered a post Zippylip made that sounded great. Here it is:

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=683750&catid=1

I made some changes, of course, I used DP Tsunami Spin for the rub. Here are the boneless chicken thighs on the small - 280 degree dome, indirect. Egged them for 1 hour, then flipped and left for 1/2 hour more:

P2084043.jpg

Mixed some lemon zest, lemon juice, EVOO, crushed red pepper flakes, S&P, chopped tomato, chopped Italian parsely, romano and parmesan cheese, along with some rotini and added in the pulled apart chicken~

P2084050.jpg

P2084047.jpg

This was my setup for Superbowl. I took a small and mini to a friends house to cook during the game -

P2064034.jpg

Stack of Jalapeno poppers here

P2064037.jpg

Egged them indirect at 400 dome- I usually go direct, and wanted to see how they would turn out~

P2064038.jpg

Here they are as I was taking them off the egg, it had started to mist outside so you can see the little droplets as I am running into the house to serve

P2064039.jpg

I also made 2 fatties on the mini and 3 batches of stuffed fritos, sorry, no pics due to the rainy weather, and wine consumption!

I did participate in the football questionaire game, but changed my name so no one would know it was me! No, I didnt win!!

P2064042.jpg

Thanks, Zippy, for the dinner idea tonight!
Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Maybe not the pool but the food sure looks like a winner
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Chicken and pasta looks great Faith!! The bacon on the abt's are vey crisp too!. My boss, Samuel, won the 4th quarter pool. $225...wished it was me.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    I bet you were the life of the party! Nice looking cooks. The pasta looked really good.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Faith: Thanks posting this cook! Guess I missed it the 1st time around. One more for "The List". :ohmy:
    Noticed the handle on your mini, Have you tried to reverse it so it sits higher (ala Lawn Rangers idea)?
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Bagger722
    Options
    Think that chicken and pasta dish is going to be on the dinner menu in the very near future. Looks delicious. All of it does. :)
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    Nice faith!! I really like the idea for the chicken & pasta!
    I cooked too...But, like I have one picture :blush: .
    You guys that are good with the camera, are REALLY good!
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Faith your photos get better and better! Really like a cook like that where someone takes the basic meat and does more with it. Really nice job. Got to try that myself.
  • Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Options
    Looks great Faith
    Sounds like the Super Bowl party rocked :)

Shane
  • Egg Juju
    Egg Juju Posts: 658
    Options
    Chicken dish looks great and Super Bowl looked like a lot of fun! Thanks for sharing... I will try the pasta dish soon.
    Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Molly, I wish I won, but I don't think I got anything right except which team would win.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

• MemphisQue
    Options
    Pasta looks great.
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    I didn't know about the handle for the mini. I can't stand that it flops, but I dont see how flipping it will change anything. I need to step up and spend the $$ for the new band with the fixed handle.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Thanks, Egg Goddess and Marc!! Looks like a chicken and pasta dinner tonight for me... Only with Italian PROVOLONE! :)

You guys always post such delicious looking cooks!!!!!!!!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Faith, I tried flipping the mini handle before I got the new one. I noticed a slight improvement, but it really wasn't much different. The new design is awesome! One hand opening, dome STAYS open, solid handle. Dramatic improvement! About $60, as I recall.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Nice cooks Faith. :P

It's obvious you all were Packers fans. :woohoo:

Did you go indirect on the Jalapeno poppers because you were going to have so many on the grid?

At age 78 my Dad now has severe Vertigo. Not good because he took a fall after bending over bruised his face like he was in a brawl. :unsure:
  • Lobicho
    Lobicho Posts: 557
    Options
    woooow
    congrats
    everything looks awesome
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Tim, I went indirect because I was also making a grid full of stuffed fritos, and I like cooking those indirect, too. It seems like the chips stay crisper that way.

• Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    Faith, pasta looks delicious, just had a big bowl of rotini with meatballs & sausage for dinner. I'll have to try the chicken version with tsunami spin, sounds good. But I'll wait till summer when I can get lots of garden basil in there; poppers look perfect too
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Man, that was good!! I used dried parsley cuz I didn't feel like going out to buy fresh. And I used Italian Provolone (LOVE that stuff-THANKS, Marc!!!) instead of Romano. Oh, and I didn't have any thighs so I egged breasts. Other than that, it was the same cook! :laugh: Anyway, it was delicious!!!

Cooked three Tsunami Spin breasts on the mini. Have two left, as well as some pasta. Tomorrow, I'll see how I like it cold. Maybe I'll even go out and get some fresh parsley - or basil. :)

Thanks, guys!!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Marc, thanks so much for the idea. The grocery store was out of basil (wah!), so I used italian parsely instead, and the cheeses came from the gourmet market. It was really good.

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Michael, get basil for tomorrow. I bought some today and added it into the leftover chicken pasta I reheated tonight and it was GREAT. Basil rocks. Glad you liked it.

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Thanks, Faith. Basil has a lot more flavor than parsley so I'll do that.

Next time, try this stuff if you can find it. It's awesome with this dish!!! NOTHING like bland deli provolone.

2010-08-04_WFMW_Calzones6.jpg

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Thanks, Michael. I will look for that cheese at the Italian market.

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Faith, I found it at my regular grocery store. About $15/lb, but VERY flavorful!! Endorsed by Marc too. :)

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1036946&catid=1

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Faith, I got some fresh basil today and had leftover chicken/pasta this evening. That's some GOOD stuff - much better than last night! Basil adds a lot!

Now YOU have to get the Italian Provolone... you won't regret it!!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• eenie meenie
    Options
    The pasta looks tasty Faith! :)

Your friends are blessed to have you showing up at a party with two eggs in hand.
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Michael, I went to a wine tasting tonight at a local gourmet market and they had your cheese, $13 a lb. It was the only provolone they had. I can't wait to try it. More chicken and pasta, coming up!!