Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Berkshire Butt vs Reg. Butt

Options
Susan Egglaine
Susan Egglaine Posts: 2,437
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The Berkshire butt weighted over 13 pounds the regular over 8. Put the berkshire on the bottom about 5 hours before putting the smaller butt on top. They both took 17 hours.
11tripe.jpg
The berkshire seemed to have less waste & less "jiggly" fat if you know what I mean. The berkshire coats almost 4 times of the regular butt, I do not think it tasted any better. It was a fun experiment but I am sticking with cheap butts :laugh:
qq8qd1.jpg

Comments

• MemphisQue
    Options
    I have always bought the more inexpensive butts and have never been disappointed.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I wonder if there would have been more difference if they had just been roasted, or if another cut was used, say chops pan fried.

I have purchased wild boar roasts, and just oven roasted, they were better than standard pork. So I've been tempted by Berkshire. Maybe BBQ is a great leveler. No need for the prime stuff when using a method designed to make the least fancy as good as the best.
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    Ms. Egglaine,
    Did the Berkshire experience the near 50% weight loss like the typical cheaper butts?
    Was the flavor any different? If so, how?
    What did they feed the Berkshire pig?
    Just curious B)
    Thanks
  • Susan Egglaine
    Options
    The loss was probably 10 percent less. Not much difference in the flavor. The Berkshire is an heirloom breed known for it's color & marbling. That was a difference. I think gdenby is right, probably would have noticed more in a differant cut.
  • Egg Juju
    Egg Juju Posts: 658
    Options
    Ive cooked Berkshire loins before and found them to be much juicier and more flavorful than their mega-mart counterparts. I would agree that the low and slow probably leveled the field a great deal. I don't recall the price being that drastically different. 4 times is significant to be sure. Was that per pound or total?
    Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com
  • Susan Egglaine
    Options
    $ 3.89 per pound, this was a wholesale price & I usually get cheap butts for a little over a dollar. The berkshire butt cost over $50. I do not think they feed them anything differant.
  • NibbleMeThis
    Options
    Thanks for biting the budgetary bullet and trying this out for the rest of us:)

I was curious about heritage pork butts but you satisfied that curiosity for me without me having to shell out the $$$ :laugh:
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Susan Egglaine
    Options
    A chef challenged me to an egg vs. box throw down & she uses a local pork so I just wanted to check out the Berkshire. I think they call it a china box. I am not scarred. :) I just have timing issues. :blink:
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    The "local pork" might give a bit of advantage. When I get a chance to travel to neighboring counties, I have access to some freshly butchered Amish raised pork, or frozen organic. Both are superior in texture to what I get from the market, which is often produced in state, but mass produced. The local stuff has a clearly superior texture. Its more firm and succulent at the same time. Both tend to be a little less fatty than mass produced, but the fat feels firmer.
  • Susan Egglaine
    Options
    Ya, firmer, I used the term less giggly :laugh: :laugh: The chef had a wedding party a couple of months ago,used the box for the first time & cooked half small pig. The new husband was in charge & pulled the meat off at 160 I think. He said let's eat no resting, no nothing, you had to cut it. I suspect she will be in charge of the throw down :laugh:
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    Susan, nice experiment. :)