Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

smoking woods

Options
PattyO
PattyO Posts: 883
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How long does smoking wood have to cure? I mean, can it be used right after it is cut from the tree, or does it have to age? I don't want anything from a wood pile because I think it could have bugs or mold. A friend will be trimming his apple and cherry and peach trees and I thought that would be a good source of wood for me. Now I have to find someone with a pecan tree. I like sweet smoke, not that heavy mesquite or hickory so much. Your advice please.

Comments

• Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Hi Patty,
    You will be fine with green cuttings, not to worry :)
    Mickey says Hi!
  • CBBQ
    CBBQ Posts: 610
    Options
    I know that when Myron Mixon did a class he said he like "green" wood because the sap/moisture in the wood provided better flavor than that of dry wood.
  • boston_stoker
    Options
    This will be debated for ever. Most used dry wood, but that being said people do use green wood quite successfully. Myron Mixon the multiple time world bbq champion, for example, uses green wood.
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    I have used green hickory and loved it.

I think it is more about whether you like the flavor than whether it is okay/safe to use.

If you want to let it age a bit, I have heard people talk about 6 months.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Typically wood is aged 4 to 6 months. Maple takes longer as it is wetter by nature. Storage is important, you need a dry, cool, dark place and the wood needs some air circulation. So a burlap sack is perfect if you have chunks. So, don't just stack it outside or load it into plastic bags.

Many cooks with stick burners, will use some green wood after they have an established bed of coals. It can add a unique flavor, and also introduce some moisture into the cooker (for humidity and to help the smoke ring). You need to bear in mind that most stick burners have more volume than an Egg, and also a different circulation and venting system.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    use it green, use it dried... it's all good.

try it for yourself and you will see that there are no real ill effects to using it green. some people prefer green wood, to be honest. you don't get any dreaded 'creosote'. if you were using green wood as a fuel source, and burning lots of it, it might be an issue using green, but you are talking very small amounts in the BGE.

even so, some roadside joints, famed far and wide, say they ise nothing BUT green wood.

lots of lore around bbq. most of it isn;t as cut and dry as it sometimes sounds.

use what you have.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I was worried about the safety of burning green wood, sap or creosote or whatever, as well as the taste.
    Hi, Mickey!!