Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Tenderloin

Options
redneck6497
redneck6497 Posts: 180
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
HI All,

I haven't been cooking much lately, but am ready to fire up the egg this weekend. I am going to try my hand at a beef tenderloin. I have seen a bunch of really good looking tenderloins on here.

I have a few questions....

1) Sear or no Sear?
2) Cooking Temp? It looks like 450 is the way to go.
3) Pull temp? Should I pull it at about 138 - 140? This is where I would pull a steak.
4) Recipe? - I am thinking of just using some montreal steak, Maybe some cowlick, and Tsunami Spin. Bad idea??
5) Crust? How do people get that great looking crust? Mustard??

Any other tips are appreciated.

Comments

• MemphisQue
    Options
    I would assume you might be referring to a whole tenderloin. I have used olive oil to give it a good sear/crust. I love doing a whole tenderloin with mesquite wood chips for first half of the cook. Really adds a good flavor. I usually pull mine closer to 130 in the center/thickest part. That give me some in the middle between rare/medium rare and outer pieces closer to medium rare/medium. That way everyone can get what they like.
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    I like to use a bourbon based marinade, and then do a high temperature sear at 600 degrees to get the outside all brown and crusty. Then remove the meat and close the vents to get the egg to around 400, then put the meat back on to roast til 125-130 degrees internal. I like mine medium rare.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • redneck6497
    Options
    Final Product .... excellent. I used a bourbon based marinade as Florida Grillin Girl suggested (from Jameson's smoke and spice), and cooked it to between 128 and 130, and let it sit for around 20 minutes.

IMG_5945.jpg