Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Sourdough Photos for Hoss, vidalia1, et. al.

FidelFidel Posts: 10,172
edited 8:24PM in EggHead Forum
Here are a couple reference photos for you guys and anyone else that might be interested. There have been a few questions on and off line the past week or two so hopefully a visual reference will help.

Here is my starter after a feeding and 24 hours in a 85 degree proofing box (which is my oven with the light on and the door cracked open about an inch):

Starter2.jpg

Starter1.jpg

And here is the poolish after adding a cup of flour, 3/4 cup of water and a cup of starter, mixing well, then proofing for 12 hours at 70&deg loosely covered:

Starter3.jpg

Comments

•  
    Thanks for the post and idea of the light for heat. What type of light are you using and what wattage?

Kent
  • HossHoss Posts: 14,600
    That helps a LOT! Thanks Fidel. :)
  • FidelFidel Posts: 10,172
    That's the stuff I'm going to dry and send you. The smell of that starter is strong brother. Makes some really good bread.
  • FidelFidel Posts: 10,172
    Just a regular incandescent bulb. I think it's 60w, too hard to get to it to see the wattage. I just put my maverick pit probe in there with the starter and keep it around 85-90&deg opening or closing the door more or less to maintain where i want. I use a turkey baster as a wedge to hold the door open, the lower I move the baster, the wider the gap up top and the lower the temp. Every inch I move the baster down lowers the temps 2 degrees in the oven.

Maybe I'm over thinking it a bit, but it works for me.
  • vidalia1vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Great references & pics...I have to get mine started soon. :)
  •  
    No, that's a great idea. I have to turn the oven on and put the dough ontop of the stove for hours and hours to get it to rise. Your idea will work great, thanks.

Kent
  • HossHoss Posts: 14,600
    I CANNOT wait! :woohoo: :)