Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Adjusting temp, is there an easy way

Options
Bagger722
Bagger722 Posts: 81
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've tried to search this question on the forum but for some reason either no results can be found or I get some sort of error message. I apologize in advance if this topic/question has already been discussed.

I've have my small BGE for about a month and a half and got about 15-20 cooks in on it. I can get it up to temp and stabilize without issue. My question is when I ready people talking about bringing the temp up to sear lets say a roast and then bring it back down. Generally they talk about searing at say 500-550 then dropping the temp down to 300-350. I'm having a hell of a time bring the temp back down and to do so it takes a good amount of time. Not sure if I'm missing something with the adjusting of the vents or if that's how it is.

I just picked up an XL Egg and wondering if the same will apply to this one as well.

Also, another question. When I have the plate setter in it takes quite a while for the egg to get up to temp opposed to not having the setter in, the egg ramps up pretty quickly.

Thank you all in advance for your time. I love these things. My fiance calls them my new girlfriends. Haha.

-Big Al

Comments

• fire egger
    fire egger Posts: 1,124
    Options
    It does take a while to bring the temp down once the ceramic is heated up. An option that some use is the reverse sear.( indirect to raise the internal, then a sear at the end.
    usually when I am doing steaks, I have my second egg going for baked taters, after the sear I dwell the steaks on it at 350ish til te internal temp is right.
    another option is to simply shut the vents after the sear, let the steaks dwell for a couple of minutes (watch for flashback)
    as for the plate setter, more ceramic mss = more heat up time.
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Big Al,

Simple. The ceramics are what make the Egg so good - their 'heat-retention' properties. Thus if you get it to 500*, it is $%&# to get the temp back down.

That's one reason many people on here roast first, then crank it up and finish with the sear. With some practice, you will learn what internal temp to pull so the sear doesn't overcook the meat.

Another option is to sear with the dome open, thus reducing the exposure of the dome ceramics to the higher temp. Close the lower vent at the end of the sear, let the fire dies down briefly, then reset the lower vent (barely open and close the dome. WHen the temp gets where you want it, finish the meat at that temp.

The same principle applies to the platesetter. It is a large mass of cool or cold ceramic that has to get up to temp, thus absorbing energy and slowing the final temp. The same will happen with a drip pan with cool liquid and with a large mass of cool meat.

The Egg is doing it's thing - the thing that makes it so good AND so different from gassers and metal smokers. You will have to learn the 'ways of the egg'. :);)
  • Bagger722
    Options
    Thank you guys for the quick reply. I love these things and am always thinking of something to cook on them. Now that I have the XL, I can't wait to do a whole meal solely on the Egg's. Again, I thank you.
  • MemphisQue
    Options
    Having the place setter in definitely slows down the heat up time. As for searing I have had good results by searing about 2-3 minutes per side and then closing top and bottom vents to finish the cook. How long depends on how thick your cut is and how you like your steaks. I prefer medium rare and will take them off at 130 meat temp.
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    MQ,

If you don't have them yet, the spider and Adjustable Rig from www.ceramicgrillstore.com are a great combo (if you have a large egg).

You can sear a steak on the spider (90sec per side), about 2-3" above the lump (1200-1600*) with the dome open, then roast it on the AR easily at 400-450*. That
    high temp sear really make for a good steak, especially if you hot tub it prior to cooking! :woohoo: :woohoo:

If you like medium rare steaks, and cook 1.5-2" thick ones, try pulling from grill at 125* internal, sealing in foil on a plate for 5-8 minutes, then serving. When I have left my probe in, the rest raised the temp to 133-135* - perfect MR steaks! :woohoo: :woohoo:
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    If you can find a small cast iron grid, you can place it directly on the lump. Stabilize the dome temp at 400° and sear the steaks (temp is much higher at lump level). After the sear, add the normal grid for the roast. If you don't have a small grid, just throw the steaks on the lump.

4712626315_f0278f8487_b.jpg

4713265284_c67908d128_b.jpg

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    with fresh lump, an egg can climb very quickly to searing temps, often quickly enough that the dome doesn't get hot enough itself to stay hot.

as you have seen, once the ceramic itself gets hot, it stays hot.

you can try timing it closer so that the second you get to sear temps, you toos the meat on, do a quick sear, 90 seconds a side or so, and then take the meat off to rest while completely shutting the egg down. that will start the egg in the other direction.

yo can also sear with the dome open. that will help keep the dome cool, and restricts the cooking during the sear to only the fire-side (no reflected/radiant heat from the dome or heat from the hot gasses within).

...or, a third option. you can revserse sear. go low (250 or so) until the steak is ten degrees under the temp you normally pull it off (which number should ALSO be about 7-10 degrees lower than your desired 'done' temp). then open the vents, sear both sides, and rest. the sear will add 7 to 10 degrees, and the rest will add 7-10 degrees
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Not bad alternative, Michael.
    I have not been brave enough to throw a nice piece of meat directly on the coals, but know people who have and say it works great. Gotta 'man-up' and give it a try. :laugh:
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I've only done it a couple of times. Ya gotta knock off a piece or two of lump from time to time. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut