Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reloading for a Glock

Options
Village Idiot
Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
edited November -1 in Off Topic
Anyone here reload their ammo for use in a Glock?

After buying my Glock 19, I read that you should NOT use reloads with the standard barrel. Only use them in an aftermarket barrel such as Storm Lake.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
Just west of Austintatious

Comments

• RVH
    RVH Posts: 523
    Options
    The Glock chamber is machined over-sized and the feed ramp is so large as to give no support for a portion of the bottom area extending forward from the base. This is done to help insure that a round will always feed into the chamber. Glock does not concern themselves with reloading. After firing, the brass will be stretched to a larger diameter as case material flows to the size of the too-large chamber. Also, material from the case will flow down and into the feed ramp area, giving the case a bulged "smile". If re-sized and reloaded, the weakened area of the case might happen to re-align with the unsupported area of the chamber; this could result in the infamous "Glock Kaboom". Many thousands of reloaded rounds have been fired in Glocks without mishap but is is a poor idea to do this. The .40 S&W cartridge is worse about this than the 9mm that you have purchased. Jarvis is one maker of barrels that offers supported, on-size chambers for the reloader.
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    Thanks for the insight, RVH. I've been doing some reading about aftermarket barrels, and Storm Lake seems to have a good reputation. I think I'll spring for one.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• RVH
    Options
    That should be a fine choice. Do you currently reload or have experience?
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    Yes, My RCBS rock chucker is 30 years old. I used to reload tons of .270 and .357 ammo, but it's been years. I'm starting over after a long lapse. I'm reading the Speer manual for a refresher.

From what I've seen of the products, not much has changed in 30 years. A few hi-tech powder measures and digital calipers, but not much else. The dies should fit in my chucker just fine.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• RVH
    Options
    Sounds like you have a good bead on it then. Enjoy the model 19.
    Oh, and another thing about the factory Glock barrel: don't shoot solid lead bullets through it.
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    Yes, thanks. I read about the lead bullets too.

It seems I always read about something after I've bought it.

I guess my mantra in life is like the old joke:

READY - FIRE - AIM. :laugh:

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• RVH
    Options
    Village Idiot wrote:
    Yes, thanks. I read about the lead bullets too.

It seems I always read about something after I've bought it.

I guess my mantra in life is like the old joke:

READY - FIRE - AIM. :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: