Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Pizza Cook - A Few Tips - Expectations

Options
LillyEgg
LillyEgg Posts: 4
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I continued to read the rave reviews about pizzas on the forum and ran out to buy a plate setter (which I will need/use as a drip pan when doing the next batch of ribs). Monday was an off day for me and I planned on doing the pizzas then - couldn't wait, so Sunday night it was.... The pizza was awesome, a heavenly taste that I can not describe. [p]Made my own dough with a basic dough recipe (3.5 cups sifted flour and tbs salt - allow active dry yeast and .5 tsp sugar 10-15 minutes to love each other in warm H20 - once bubbly, combine with dry ingredients and stir until elastic - let proof in greased bowl 30 minutes). [p]Here are a few tips.[p]To me, the dough was not real elastic - it was pretty rough looking and very dry.... thought I had too much flour - however, end result was fine - cracker type crust wich is what I prefer....

I rolled my dough very thin as I like it - it made two 14 inch pizzas - Didn’t have a rolling pin so I used a round drinking glass instead. [p]Sauce was Barilla Mariana sauce - also picked up a spicy flavored barilla sauce - will use next time...[p]I did not have a peel, and prepared pizzas on a large plastic cutting board - the pizzas stuck to the board when I tried to transfer them - scared the living mess out of me as I was concerned I would never get the pizza off the board - all the while the 500 degree egg was nipping at my hands... Finally used two spatulas - in the future will place some corn meal under the pizza - this should help the pizza slide right on to the stone[p]My stone cracked after pizza number one - which I read is common for the thin stones. Will try to find a thick stone - step mother said pampered chef catalog may have the thick ones. I was able to finish number two on the cracked stone. [p]Number one was a spinach (fresh), artichoke, chicken (cooked on BGE beforehand), mushroom with mozzarella and smoked provolone. Forget to put the artichokes on and added at the last five minutes of cook - they soaked up smoke flavor just fine.... [p]Number two was a pepperoni, spicy Italian sausage, mushrooms with mozzarella and smoked provolone.[p]Although I love spicy foods, I think number one was the best. [p]The pizzas were awesome, I laid awake that night just thinking of the next set. Hope the few tips help out..........

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    lilly egg,
    From what I have read here, the Pampered Chef stones are not up the heat and will crack. FWIW...
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • lilly egg,[p]Here are my tips:[p]For more info on making your own dough get the book "American Pie".[p]Also visit PizzaMaking.com for dough, and sauce tips.[p]Get a rolling pin.
    Get a peel.[p]I recommend www.superpeel.com.[p]Get a BGE pizza stone.[p]For ingredients I also like fresh mozzarella, proscuitto ham, and basil.[p]

• Dr. Strangelove
    Options
    lilly egg,[p] Try rolling your dough out on parchment paper, pizza slides off onto the stone like it was on ball bearings. Remove the parchment after 3-4 minutes by lifting up one edge of the crust slightly with a peel or spatula, then pulling the paper out quickly. This allows the crust to crisp nicely, be sure to trim the parchment after you roll out the dough (don't want any flaming parchment paper topping, now do we?).[p]Jon