Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza cook using a frozen pizzeria dough ball

Options
2Fategghead
2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
In a few hours I plan to use this dough for pizza today. The last time I tried this my dough was not ready and every time I flattened out the dough it sprung back and was impossible to use. Yesterday I got some help so I can try this again. Thanks for looking Tim ;)

From yesterday post

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=112&func=view&catid=1&id=1031601#1031601

Here is the dough ball I purchased for a $1. It was purchased last month and put away in the freezer until yesterday. Now it's warmed up and cut in half.

000_2507.jpg

Here I took each half and rolled it into a tight ball.

000_2508.jpg

000_2509.jpg

Next I placed each ball in a lightly oiled bowl and covered them with cellophane.

000_2510.jpg

Comments

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    I hope it turns out better than last time. The dough from the restaurant should turn out just fine if you let it really warm up.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Thanks Faith I hope to do better this time. :)
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    It'll be good!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Thanks Molly I know they will be too. ;)

We will be making them early this afternoon for the Bears Packer game. ;)
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    OK three hours after I made the dough balls we got the egg and the baking stone stable for 40 min's at

000_2513.jpg

So Cindy flattened out the dough ball. It was still a little on the rubber side but, she managed.

I still like Zippylips recipe for dough and cook. I did it one time and it's all laid out for you and they came out perfect.

000_2512.jpg

Some sauce here but, I had a lot of juice on the finished pie. I wonder if it was the wal-mart sauce. :blush:

000_2514.jpg

Mozzarella mushrooms onions and pepperoni

000_2515.jpg

000_2516.jpg

000_2519.jpg

000_2521.jpg

000_2522.jpg

Here is the finished second pie. We ate all but three pieces. We like making and eating the zas very good and hope to continue to improve. I want to thank everybody for all their help. Some day I'm gonna be an egghead! ;)

000_2524.jpg
  • Susan Egglaine
    Options
    You are an Egghead! If you find dough balls you like you might want to go that way & not buy an expensive mixer. Every time I bring out the mixer, I make a HUGH mess :laugh: :laugh:
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Thanks Susan. This is my third pizza cook. My first was Zippylips well documented how-to that went very well. Then we got 5 dough balls so we didn't do so well on the first cook from a frozen dough ball. Then this cook and I feel we are getting better. :)
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Looks like they turned out good Tim. Nice job!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Thanks Molly i'm getting closer. ;)
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Options
    Great looking crust, and pizza! :)
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Options
    Now thats some nice looking pizza there bud. Good Eats.
  • Judy Mayberry
    Options
    Tim: I haven't read all the replies yet, but I can suggest how to have less "juice" on top of the finished pizza.

Raw mushroom and onions have a bit of water to release, so sauteing the mushrooms lightly first would help, onions if you want.

Pepperoni is notorious for exuding fat when it's cooking, so put it between paper towels and microwave it for 30-40 seconds first.

And the cheese also releases some fat when it's heated. You can see why three out of the four toppings are the big culprits, it's not the sauce. Using fewer toppings would be a big help too.

Love the pictures! Keep 'm coming.

Judy
    Judy in San Diego
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Thank you Elizabeth. :)
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Thanks Mike i've been working at it and getting lots of help. ;)
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Thanks Judy, I was trying to figure out what the problem was. We did precook the pepperoni but, not the rest. We will do that next time. On our first pizza we used hard mozzarella I liked it but this time we tried fresh whole milk. Anyway we just gotta work on it. ;) Thanks for your help. Tim
  • nuynai
    nuynai Posts: 101
    Options
    Good work. Next time try epie rolls and calzones on your BGE..
  • Lobicho
    Lobicho Posts: 557
    Options
    wow...
    I have been hesitant to make pizza on the egg..
    But no more I should give it a try...
    Very tasty my friend!!!
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Thanks I will. Do you have any preferred recipes or methods for the epie rolls? :)
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Lobicho, Once you make one you will be hooked. ;)
  • Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Options
    Nice looking pies Tim :)
    No more take out for you eh? :laugh:

Shane
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Thanks Shane, Your right no more take out for me. :P
  • nuynai
    nuynai Posts: 101
    Options
    Take the store bought dough. Let rise overnight. Cut into 4 equal sections. Let rise again. Roll out into 12 in. rounds. Cook what ever stuffing you're going to use- onions, peppers, mushrooms, Italian sausage, chorizo, etc., various cheeses or what ever you want to put in them. Take the cooked ingredients and place them in the dough. Flip the halves, get out the air and seal. Cut 2 slices on top to vent the hot air and cook. Most recipes call for 425, but I've found 375 works much better. They take about 1/2 hr. You can make Polish-sliced polish sausage with sauerkraut, onions, swiss cheese with mustard for dipping. Reuben- Corned beef, sauerkraut, onions, swiss cheese, with 1000 island dressing for dipping. Mexican-taco meat, colby jack cheese, peppers, onions, jalapenos, beans, etc. Or my wife's favorite- ham, cappicola, italian sausage, pepperoni, etc, various cheeses, onions, peppers, mushrooms. It's all up to you.
    They're pretty much done, when the top turns a medium brown.
    It's a whole lot cheaper than buying them and much more fun. Enjoy.
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Gotcha thanks. ;)