Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temperature

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm having to open my slide metal top (not just open holes) and keep my vent door full open to maintain 300 plus degrees. Am I doing something wrong? New BGE user, but loving it and want to become master!
John

Comments

• The Other Dave
    Options
    John Cook, Make sure the slot on the bottom ring ring is lined up with the lower vent. Hope that helps.

• eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    Options
    John Cook,[p]your lump may be a little compacted and blocking the air holes in the grate. have you heard bout the wiggle rod?

• tn slagamater
    Options
    John Cook, if you are not getting enough heat from the lump...either you have too little charcoal.... or.... you have a shortage of air/oxygen. Add charcoal so it is well above the airholes. ALWAYS, do this. Second,if you have charcoal above the vents and only 300 temp, then you need more air/oxygen. Stir the old lump before every cook so you clear the dust and air vent holes. Do not put a lot of small lump and lump dust in the way of the air vents, use larger chunks of charcoal around the air vents. Plenty of charcoal and clear air vents always will produce a lot more heat than you describe....Open everything, add charcoal = HEAT...

• Mike in MN
    Options
    vent_tool.jpg
    <p />eggor,[p]Here's a shot of my venting tool. Every eggor needs one. [p]It's amazing how fast the temp will rise, once you get the vents cleaned up a bit with this "altered" coat hangar.[p]I'm waiting for the Lawn Ranger to offer the customized version.[p]Mike in MN
  • wdan
    wdan Posts: 261
    Options
    Mike in MN,
    Hey Mike! How the heck are ya? Haven't seen you post in awhile. Come to think of it, I haven't done much lately either. Hope all is well with you and yours.
    Cheers!

• wdan
    Options
    John Cook,
    I think Jim is spot-on. Make sure your lump is up to the top of the fire box (at least). If it is, and your temp is still too low, then you most likely got air problems unless'n you got bad or wet lump (I've never seen lump that bad, though). About a week ago I posted, asking for advice how to clean out around a fire box without removing it (as mine seems to be cracked again). Do that next.

• eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    Options
    WDAN,[p]did you you see my post on the shopvac attachment to reduce it to a household vacuum hose? you should be able to find it easy enough, then just fish it around the firebox without a complete teardown.

• wdan
    Options
    eggor,
    Yes I did. In fact that's the one I thought I would go ahead and try. I'm also going to keep an eye out for one of those long, flexible fish tank brushes too. Thanks!

• Mike in MN, I'm guessing that you insert the hanger into the Egg via the bottom vent, and then poke up through the bottom grate to ensure that the holes are not blocked?[p]Seems pretty simple.[p]Please clarify if I'm misunderstanding the mechanics of your gadget. Thanks.