Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

foodsaver

Options
tigerfan
tigerfan Posts: 20
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
can anyone recommend a good foodsaver? mother in law gave me one that is a little cheapy with the thin plastic ect... doesn't work worth a damn. any advice? would be nice to have some pulled pork in the freezer in case of emergency.
thanks ,
alan

Comments

• didn't get far enough down the posts. just found holysmokes link

• Rumrunner
    Rumrunner Posts: 563
    Options
    tigerfan, just make sure you get the "Food Saver" brand made by Tilia. There are imitations and knockoffs, but only one works great...and that is the Food Saver brand. Several models and all are fine.

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    tigerfan,
    My kids gave me one for Christmas too and it was the real deal. I'm wondering what I did before I got it! Even my wife, who was not enthused about it, is now a champion. I've got two packages of PP in the freezer now and I have to say I feel pretty smug. We're having company next Saturday night and I'll be able to have ABT's with "fresh" pulled pork.
    We live in close proxmity to several big, so called "discount outlets" and I found that Target has the best prices for almost all ot the FoodSaver products. You will NOT regret the investment.

• Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Sundown,[p]I (we) love ours. Last week alone, eggsellent was sealing and freezing wings, flank steaks, ground beef, and now, with the 8 hour pulled pork, I suspect we're gonna have a small freezer full of that too, just in case...
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Mark Backer,
    I'm sure you watched with the same fascinated horror when you bagged your first load of PP and it shrunk from what appeared to be enough for at least 4 REALLY GOOD SANDWICHES to a shrunken non discript mass the size of a good hot dog.
    Wife shopped for 6 weeks worth of meats (her idea of meat, not mine)and we still have plenty of room in the freezer for a couple of butts and a big brisket. I've said it before and I'll say it again, God bless the people that came up with the Big Green Egg and the Food Saver in that order!!

• Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Sundown,[p]You got that right. The first time you make a butt, it starts at 9 pounds, finishes at under 5, then you vacuum seal it and it looks about the size of a pound of ground beef and you say "where'd my 12 bucks worth of meat go?!?"[p]But now, vacuum sealing's just part of the deal. [p]I echo your sentiments regarding the egg and tilia's products. [p]
  • BucsFanJim
    Options
    tigerfan,
    I also got one for Christmas...from better half and kids.
    Not sure about any other brands but ours is the Tilia Foodsaver model V825.
    Gave my son some left over brisket and he warmed the bag up in water on the stove and said it was as fresh tasting as if I had just sliced it.

• Toy Man
    Toy Man Posts: 416
    Options
    Lots of different models and prices.[p]You can get the top of the line (minus the jars) for $200 at
    https://www.highlandgear.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=539[p]Toy Man

• Colonel Pork Butt
    Options
    tigerfan,
    Yes, to what everyone else has said. I to have a Tiala model, the kind you can store a roll in the unit with built in cutter. kinda pricey at first but is totally killer. Also, on a customer relation note. Had mine for a couple of years, ran into it not working, called customer service did the recommended excercise to reset the unit which did not work. So they sold me a new one for $35 bucks! same model and everything and the new color worked better with the kitchen.[p]Good Luck!

• HolySmokes
    Options
    nevermind,
    yeah, but just look how many great opinions
    you got this way! LOL
    HS

• Gooba
    Gooba Posts: 26
    Options
    We got one last year and love it.I do not know how we got along without it.We have even used it when packing for trips.I use it also to keep my spices fresh.