Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I'm officially an EggHead

Options
nysportsfan
nysportsfan Posts: 241
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
As mentioned in my last - and only - thread, I was looking for a BGE. I've always liked to grill, and figured it was time to step up to the plate. I looked on Craigslist for a while, and even got one of the guys to commit at a decent price. But in the end, I went new due to the warranty and the damn good price at the place.

Egg (large) - $649
Nest - $75
Wooden sides - $65

Decent for new, no?

I asked if they could throw in a bad of Wicked lump and they obliged. I might have been able to wrestle away a plate setter, but I decided against the delivery charge of $65 and will buy it later. I know this thing is like a BOAT, break out another thousand. I just can't afford to go all in right now.

I can go pick it up on Tuesday or Wednesday, and hoping to have it for next weekend.

Really pumped, but now what?! I'll be honest, I probably bought a Mercedes before I should have bought my Honda, but I didn't care. If my better half can buy an LV bag, I can buy this, lol. I have no idea how to use this thing, which I guess is where the DVD comes in. I'll be looking for help along the way, just hoping to contribute here in a small way as well.

Thanks again for all of your help. Glad to now be an Egghead.

Comments

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    You got an outstanding deal! Congrats on one of the of the finest purchases of your life. Not many things in life that you buy once and are happy about it for the rest of your life.

A thermapen and you're all set. ;)
  • Vetereggnarian
    Options
    Nice.

The beauty is that they combine all the best parts of the Mercedes and the Honda.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    nysportfan, Fantastic news! ;)

Your gunna learn a lot from this forum as I have. ;)

Take pictures and imagine your life now and in a years time imagine. Good for you. I feel your excitement. :woohoo:

Get to thinking about what your going to cook for your first meal off your NEW BGE. :) Tim
  • TXTriker
    TXTriker Posts: 1,177
    Options
    Welcome, nysportsfan. You have made a wonderful purchase and so much more fun than a LV. You may not use it as often, but will enjoy it so much more than a LV.

The prices look good to me and enjoy the forum.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    You're in for a treat! As for learning to use it, yeah watch the DVD, but you will learn a TON more right here. The DVD does not respond well when you ask it questions. It's downright aloof, in fact. :) Folks here? Well, that's a different story. Enjoy your new toy!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    That looks like a very decent price. But...you're not officially an EGGhead until:
    1. You've burned all the hair off at least one arm via a flashback.
    2. You've burned up your gasket.
    3. You realize that you can cook quite well with a cracked firebox.
    4. You watch "Ace of Cakes" on the Food Channel and you think to yourself, "I could do that on the BGE.
    5. "Your better half asks: "Do you realize you smell like smoke?" and you have no idea what he or she is talking about.

Then you will realize, we're the best friends you've got.
  • Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Options
    Congrats, you are in for a wild ride.
    Everyone here is very helpful and the search engine has a ton of info :)

Here are a couple of sites to help you get going.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/

Shane
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    The good news is - you NEVER have to buy another grill!! I'm serious, the LV bag will be long gone and you will still be egging on! Good for you, NYsportsfan! and Congrats! Post some pics for us, we love pics.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • nysportsfan
    Options
    Thanks guys B)

Pretty pumped to say the least. I will most definitely take pics, that much is for certain. As for asking questions, not a problem either as I am sure I will have many. Any suggestions on a first cook? I read someone here say that I should keep the first few under 400 degrees or so? I'm thinking of ribs, low and slow if that's the case.

Bad news I am on Weight Watchers and I've been losing weight (have about 20lbs to go!), so this may derail my efforts, lol.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Yeah, ribs and WW would seen to be somewhat contradictory. :) Spatchcocked chicken is easy and delicious. I have been grilling turkey burgers of late. Or turkey meat loaf. If you season them with enough stuff, they actually TASTE! :laugh: Grilled vegetables are great too.

Or, you could just marinate some chicken thighs in Goya Mojo Criolo, add some cherry wood for smoke and enjoy this... :)

4101269668_d474558f9d_b.jpg

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Dude,

Congrats! I bought my wife a LV bag for christmas and coulda had several eggs for the price :blink: Everyone is here to help you through the learning curve.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    Options
    Am I correct in assuming an "LV bag" is Louis Vuitton? If so, your egg has a lot more carrying capacity. :)
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Congrats on the egg!! Your life will never be the same.
    You can eat very healthy still, it'll all taste better too.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Options
    Welcome to the cult - prepare yourself - your life is forever changed! You are going to be amazed... :)
  • nysportsfan
    Options
    Thanks for all the well wishes. Those chicken thighs look amazing. You have a recipe? How long do you cook for? Temp? Man, look awesome.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    I just marinated them in the Criolo for maybe 3-4 hours. I'm sure I salted and peppered - I do that with everything! :laugh: Then, grid at gasket level, direct heat (no platesetter or other heat barrier), about 400° dome temp til done. Maybe 175-180° for thighs. 20=30 minutes, I think. Always cook to temp, not time anyway. 2 or 3 cherry chunks mixed into the lump. Very easy, very good!!

To raise the grid, you can use fire bricks, carriage bolts or something fabricated like the pic below. You can also simply use less lump. All you're trying to do is keep some distance between the lump and the food. I made three of these to raise my grid...

4056055785_7421cd60d0_b.jpg

Enjoy!!!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    So you're not officially an egghead...you just officially own an egg...it's just a grill and getting extremely overpriced...welcome to the club..ya got a bit to learn..
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    my boats worth more than i bought it for 20 years back and all ive really bought is gas :laugh: all you really need is a second grid and maybe ten fire brick splits, your then good to go unless you are cooking a pizza or maybe a stew or chili which woulld need a pot
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    to be official you need 15000 post counts :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: or one :)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Egg Master 3000
    Options
    Well I went from a 20ish dollar wal-mart grill to my large egg! :laugh: Wierd thing is that I did not know anyone with an egg... just heard multiple radio advertisments from our local dealer and decided to stop by. After a few visits I put one on layaway. Haven't looked back since!