Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s time to kick back, relax and enjoy the aromas of fresh smoked meat as we sail towards summer. Not sure what to smoke? Try Down & Dizzy Pork Shoulder or Smoked Spanish Chicken. Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Pizza stone vs place setter

edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello, I'm new to this forum and have have owned an large BGE for 1 year now. I'm sure glad I found this forum, WHAT A FIND!![p]I have a question about the indirect method. Since I don't own any fire bricks or place setter, can I just use my pizza stone and drip pan? Or will the pizza stone trap too much of the heat and smoke. [p]Thank You

Comments

• Tim MTim M Posts: 2,410
    Tom S.,[p]Any good ceramic will work. Some use flower pots!! I don't use my stone for anything but pizza but many do use it as a barrier - some cover it with foil so it doesn't get all greased up. What are you planning to cook indirect? If you read Jslots rib recipe - he uses the pizza stone as a barrier below the main grid. Yell if we can help.[p]Tim
  • SpinSpin Posts: 1,375
    Tom S.,[p]A hearty welcome to the forum. Indirect cooking requires insulating the meal from the direct heat of the fire with the goal being to create a charcoal fired oven. Almost anything that can withstand the direct fire temp (always higher than cooking (dome) temp) for the duration of the cook will serve the purpose.[p]I tend to use pizza stones for this purpose as I have several of various diameters and thicknesses. Their use guarantees a true indirect cook. The biggest advantage of using a pizza stone is that, if you slightly raise the (required) drip pan off the stone, you can collect juices for gravy. [p]The only requirement that needs to be satisfied when cooking indirect is that the airflow through the Egg is not restricted. When using a pizza stone directly on the grill, a 3/4" opening (diameter) will reliably allow up to 400F cooking temp.[p]Go for it.[p]Spin