Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Nutritional Labels on Meat

Buster Dog BBQ
Buster Dog BBQ Posts: 1,366
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My local newspaper today had an article about nutrition information being placed on meat. The same kind of label you see on other food products.

So my question for you. Will you look at the label? Will you choose chicken A over chicken B because A has less fat? Will the labels have any influence on your buying decision?

Comments

• ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    I already choose my ground beef, based upon the fat content and what I'm planning to make with it. I can't imagine seeing the fat content of other meat products would change my usage of them ... though the "OMG" factor may kick in once in a while, when I contemplate buying country style ribs.
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  •  
    I would think the labels are going to drive the cost of meat up, somebody is going to have to pay for them and we know who that is going to be. The only labeling I need on my meat is the cut and the price. Is more labeling going to make it taste any better? How often do you read the handling instructions that are on the labeling now? :lol:

Blair

• mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Most grocery store meat is that nasty 'select' grade anyway. Fat content of all going down and down and down and so is taste. Pork is almost useless anymore. And most don't have any idea what 1% means. One percent of..what. Total weight? Proportioned to something? Lordy you can tell by LOOKING at 2 cuts which has more fat. There isn't much else in meat to discuss. Protein, fat, end of discussion.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    i can see it to a certain point, my dog needs a diet of lower amounts but higher quality proteins, low phosphorous, low salt because of kidney failure, having that info would be beneficial to some who have say kidney failure, liver disease, thyroid problems etc. now the reason they want to do this is bogus, its about people being over weight and eating too much, not exercising etc and i think mandating some of these things just causes other problems, like maybe eliminating it out of the meatcase altogether.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Wait 'til you start hearing the stuff about all recipes having nutritional information. The prediction is by 2013 ALL recipes made available to the public will have to have it.

That will be a real treat. I just love my massive government.
  • better start practicing grillin my veggies, maybe I can slow smoke a large gourd... :laugh:
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    I actually do read the labels on some meat. Bulk sausage for instance. The fat content varies from 49% to 24%. Since all bulk sausage is overloaded with fat anyway, I usually choose the least fat because it's more than enough to add flavor, and less burn off, meaning more actual meat. Other then that, no labels needed for me until I lose my eyesight;then they would have to write them in brail. :laugh:
  • Big Un hit the nail on the head. I only buy comp chicken at the store, but if it has more fat then other brands, how long before my brand vanishes off the shelf?

Most shoppers hear low fat and don't think of the quality. I do have worries some cuts might phase out to hamburger or something like that.