Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Shoulder Advice

Options
David
David Posts: 97
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My first attempt at pulled pork -[p]I have rubbed the 7.5 lb shoulder with yellow mustard and my favorite rib rub. It has sat in the fridge for about 6 hours. I am in the process of bringing it to room temp.[p]My plan is to put it on my egg around midnight and cook at 200-220 for - best guess 14 hours (?) until the shoulder reaches 200. I have read I may need to increase egg temp to 250 for last few hours. [p]I am cooking indirect with the platesetter and the shoulder on a V rack in a drip pan.[p]For flavor i have soaked 6 hickory chunks and plan to add them at the beginning of the cooking.[p]Any proposed changes to this plan?[p]I have filled the egg with Cowboy charcoal about 1-2 inches below the platesetter. When lighting the charcoal - do I get the fire going with the lid open or shut? Do I let all the coal get started & then close lid and cool to 200? I need some help with this part of the process.[p]Thanx

Comments

• StumpBaby
    StumpBaby Posts: 320
    Options
    David,[p]I always cook my pork at 225-250 dome...200 dome seems awful low to me.[p]15 hours time doesn't seem like a bad guess to me.[p]I always keep the dome closed when I'm getting the temp up. I also start the fire in the middle, then let it get to about 250-300, spread the lit coals around a bit..close the dome..then close the vents down to about an eight of an inch top and bottom..then I throw the wood chuncks in, the plate setter, the meat and all that..then close the dome again. Adding all that mass should bring your temp down in range of what you want..provided it hasn't gone way up past 300 or so, or hasn't spent a long time at that little higher temp.[p]That's what I do..other folks do other things. Different strokes for different folks..and if you've ever spent any time watching grampa and poppa wash down at the creek..you'll know how true that is.[p]StumpBaby[p][p]

• Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    Options
    Nice finish Stump.

• David
    Options
    StumpBaby,[p]Good solid, sound advice followed a great laugh - [p]Many thanks - I'm trying it your way![p]D

• Toy Man
    Toy Man Posts: 416
    Options
    "Do I let all the coal get started & then close lid and cool to 200"[p]Do NOT do this - it will be extremely difficult to get the temp. down. [p]I prefer 235 - 250.[p]Toy Man
  • HolySmokes
    Options
    David,
    you're obviously following a very specific
    routine, and it is right on.
    you're at the point where we start to refine,
    based on personal experience... well, I think
    you need to follow your plan and gain the persnal
    experience, ...'cause the rest you've figger'ed
    out.
    go fer it! got the same butt on, much the same
    plan, check with you tomorrow (only going to 220
    overnight, but...)
    hs!

• David
    Options
    Toy Man,[p]Thank you - it's cookin' now - just checked the dome it was at 275 - yikes - trying to cool it down