Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chili for the Chilly.............

Options
Florida Grillin Girl
Florida Grillin Girl Posts: 4,973
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This is a SPICY chili, a variation of Egret's with some of my own secret ingredients:

P1133874.jpg

As soon as the sun went down, it got durn COLD out there! Good thing I started this at 2 in the afternoon!

P1133877.jpg

Topped with all my favoritest toppings:

P1143894.jpg

YUM.
Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini

Comments

• Egg Master 3000
    Options
    That is a healthy looking bowl of chili! Great color!
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Great looking chili, what's with the cold weather down there? We will be mid 70° this week. -RP
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Faith, I like secret recipes... :woohoo: mmmmmmm :( Ok you must be very cold...keep warm...looks great as usual mi amiga.
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Randy, it was really cold all week... still can't complain too much, FL was the only state in the US that did not have snow on the ground!

It's supposed to be in the 70's for the next few days. YaY!
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Faith, that looks great!! I haven't tried Egret's recipe yet, but I thought it was already supposed to be "spicy". Not enough for ya, huh?

As for cold... :) It was 9° when I woke up yesterday. 0° this morning. We are going in the wrong direction... but at least I don't sweat when I'm cookin'! :laugh:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Gator Bait
    Options

0º is insane, that's when you need to find another temperature scale. 10:46AM and 64º here. Durn chilli! :lol:

Keep warm Michael,

Blair

• Gator Bait
    Options

Great looking chilly Faith, that looks like it should warm you up for the duration of one of our cold spells. This getting bundled up and putting on a jacket to egg dinner is for the birds. I'll be happy when we are back to our shirt sleeves and shorts in a day or two. :)

Blair

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Micheal - 0???? I am chilly in anything below 70, and I am not kidding. If I had to live in cold like that, I would never go outside, let alone cook out there.

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Blair, all this week I wore socks, slippers, sweats, 2 blankets and and sat next to a space heater! Bring on the flip-flops!

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Hahaha... Wouldn't go outside? I just opened up the Thermapen and it's 65° in my kitchen!!! Toasty. :laugh:

Your chili is sounding better and better. Do you deliver? :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    Options
    That looks very good and conforting Faith.
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • Gator Bait
    Options

LOL, ditto on everything but the blankets, I'm a bit south of you and am probably cuddled up a little closer to the space heater. This weather is torture! B)

Keep warm my friend,

Blair

• Kentucky Wildcat Fan
    Options
    Good lookin chili and nice view of the water
    Large & MiniMax in Lexington, KY
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
    Faith, that is what I want this weekend. After having egrets chili last week I cant wait to make it.
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Jo Jo, I have tasted Egret's chili made by the king of chili himself. It is a great recipe and I highly recommend it.

• MemphisQue
    Options
    Great View while cooking on the egg
  • Firetruck
    Options
    As I recall, your view is pretty great too. I'm headed over this afternoon to try to kill some ducks.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Faith,

Looks like a great chili! You should try using some chipoltles in adobo. :laugh:

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Steve, I usually use chipotles in adobo, but this time I didn't. Those are dried Chipotle peppers floating on the top.

• MemphisQue
    Options
    Good luck. We have been frozen up this week. Hopefully water is beginning to thaw some this afternoon. Might be a good shoot this afternoon and tomorrow.
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    I think I spy a bean in there! You are a good chili cook! ;) Looks great!

Mike
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Thank you, Mike! No beans in there, for sure!
    Even though Egret's recipe calls for 2 cans.....

• Grillin & Chillin
    Options
    Yummy for da Tummy! Nice pic's as usual FGG!
    BGE'er since 1996 Large BGE 1996, Small BGE 1996, Mini BGE 1997
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    What kind of meat did you use Faith? Looks rich and hearty!! Spicy is good!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Molly, I used 1 lb. Italian sausage and 1 1/2 lb. chuck, ground up real thick, the thickest I have ever seen it. Publix called it special chili grind. I smoked just those 2 meats in the DO for an hour with hickory and JD wookchips and tried not to break it up to much.

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Cool!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Firetruck
    Options
    there was a little ice back in happy jack but not much. all the ducks were a mile high and had there gps programmed for some place else. :(
  • Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Options
    Faith
    That Chili looks fantastic :)
    Just going out to find my drive way.
    It is under the 3ft on snow somewhere :laugh:
    Shane
  • Lobicho
    Lobicho Posts: 557
    Options
    Wow...