Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help me incorporate a BGE into my covered setup

Options
2»

Comments

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    :woohoo: :laugh:

Hey I can't talk any better either. :laugh:
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    That's a good pic Michael. I wish we could get a pic of the egg shooting out the bottom vent. :woohoo:

000_1695.jpg
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Oh, way higher :)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• ranger ray
    Options
    the first thing i'd do is to start looking around for a used stainless restaurant hood.... once i found that..... ( depending on the size)..... i'd center the egg under it to the left side of the existing set up.....)....and try to match the same materials as the existing cabinets..... if you can't find a hood at a cheap price( i;m sure you can).... have a local "tin knocker" make on for you..... won't be as much as you think.....an egg just sitting out in limbo.... is too weird....just won't look correct.... you need to incorporate it in the motif... rr
  • ranger ray
    Options
    make a free wheeling cart that you can take out to the edge of the pool when your cooking.... wheel it back into place to the left of the existing cabinets so it looks nice when you're not using it.... those nest things .... eh?..... look at the pics on the naked's whiz's site of other folk's set ups.... ranger ray.
  • Walt Dockery
    Options
    Sorry, guess that wasn't clear - there is no living space behind the wall that I'm facing as I take the pic. The living space is on my right. That's just a freestanding wall that extends out from the house. On the left is an outdoor bathroom.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    The nest handler bolds the egg and the nest together and makes it really easy to go up and down curbs. It would be ideal if you want to move the egg around. No fear of tipping
  • Walt Dockery
    Options
    I got a couple of PMs asking why I don't keep the TEC. Well, I don't really know - I'm not dead set against keeping it, I've just never used one and I don't know if they're any good. Additionally, this one is in pretty rough shape, and not having used one I don't know if it's worth the effort and money to fix it up when I know that I like the way Weber gas grills cook.

I was hesitant to post pics because this is a BGE forum, not a TEC or gas grill forum. But if anyone knows anything about these, any input is appreciated.

IMG_0655.jpg

This is a pic of the grates - I've never seen grill grates look like this. I have no idea what the previous homeowner did to get these so heat damaged.

IMG_0652.jpg

When I take the grates out, the internals just look ... well, a bit rough. If anyone knows better than me, speak up. I have no idea what the warranty is on these TECs or if this can be fixed or not. Maybe I should call a local TEC dealer:

IMG_0653.jpg
  • Walt Dockery
    Options
    You think I can go down that step with the handler?

How much do the nest + handler cost?

My best bet might be to just get the nest and handler to start. If smoke isn't an issue, I can always build it in later. If smoke is an issue, I'll be glad I didn't go to the expense plus having torn up my counter top to build it in.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    A new nest is going to set you back about $125 and can be found used for about $50. The handler is in the $80 range. You will have no problem going up or down that step. I would pull it backward and go over it with no trouble.
  • Walt Dockery
    Options
    I bought a Large BGE earlier today, with the nest but the store did not have a handler. Assembled it and fired it up outside of the cover and cooked some burgers ... it did put out quite a bit of smoke, I'm not sure how it will work under the cover. I will probably order the handler and use it to take it down the step when I use it. Without the handler, it's pretty awkward to get it up and down the step. While all I made were burgers, I was pretty darn impressed with the cooking performance. It definitely keeps a more consistent temperature than my weber gas grill, and regulating the temp wasn't too difficult.

In other news, I made an appointment with a local BBQ store to have someone come out and give me an estimate to repair the TEC. Apparently it's a pretty good grill so if it can be repaired for a reasonable price I'll probably keep it and give the weber gasser to my brother. After using the egg, I can definitely see how you could use it as an only grill. Still, since I've got two gassers it makes sense to keep one, and I do like the convenience and/or when I have a large group over it's nice to have the additional grilling space.

Thanks for all the help.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Best of luck.You will love the Egg. There is a learning curve but not a big deal.If you run into a problem the folks on here are always glad to help.
    P.S. The nest and handler are not that pretty,but they WAY more than make up for it in usefulness. ;)
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Walt, FWIW, I have used nothing but charcoal for the last 20+ years. The last gasser I bought, I returned after ONE cook (burgers, in fact). They were awful!!! Replaced it with a Weber kettle and have been using charcoal ever since. Bought my first egg in August '09. Haven't used the Weber since. Doesn't hold a candle to the egg.

Is charcoal kind of a pita? Well, yeah, it is more trouble than gas. Might take just a bit longer too, but I really don't think there's that much of a time difference. And the food is soooo much better!

When you have a group over, how will you decide which of your guests will get the gasser food? :laugh:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• 2Fategghead
    Options
    Walt, I think you have the right plan and in time you will see what you may want to do next. Wishing you well and keep coming back. ;) Tim
  • LMB
    LMB Posts: 1
    Options
    Have you seen the ms solution? It was tested at duke, and incorporates legs on an eggheaded trading platform...
  • Walt Dockery
    Options
    I heard of that, but I thought they scrapped it? The egg mass was too great and it kept collapsing on itself. Not even Professor Godbee could come up with with a solution, last I heard.