Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My little ol' spatchcock

Options
TheDirtyBurger
TheDirtyBurger Posts: 846
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Was not planning on cooking this weekend, but thanks to a sale on whole chickens ($0.99 lb) and my wife boycotting Indian Food yesterday, I decided to cook. The funny thing is yesterday I did all prep and did not even make anything. All for tonight and this week (pork chops brining, pics later in the week).

Start with the new tool of the spatchcock trade. I posted this yesterday. Old tool on left, new (cheaper, better, easier to clean) tool on the right.
IMG_20110108_184641.jpg

Here the chickens are spatchcocked and rubbed. Both are 4 pounders. The beauty on the right has some DP Swamp Venom and the one on the left has some DP Jamaican Firewalk. This will be my first time using the Firewalk, looking forward to it. I loosened the skin and got the rub on the majority of the insides as well. No oil or anything, just rub.
IMG_20110108_183736.jpg

The setup. 350*-375* direct with no drip pan. Adjustable rig with rig extender.
Had some left over cherry chunks/slivers from my last Maple Bourbon Ham cook so I left them in there.
IMG_20110109_161710.jpg

I got both birds on the rig extender but they were touching which is maybe why it took 2 and a half damn hours!
IMG_20110109_165610.jpg

2 and a half hours later...
IMG_20110109_192843.jpg

Cut and ready to eat. You can tell which one I took my time with.
IMG_20110109_193635.jpg

Overall it was good, I have done better and quicker. But I was in no hurry to eat.

Here is a preview of Wednesday or Friday's cook
IMG_20110109_165218.jpg

Comments