Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tagine Results

Options
BlueSmoke
BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
On the "up" side, the meat was nicely done; tender and juicy. The aroma was heavenly but the taste didn't live up to it. It was as if everything mingled together TOO well - the carrots tasted like the pepper, the eggplant, the mushrooms... We finished the meal full, but unsatisfied.[p]I'm not ready to give up; there's a chicken with lemon recipe I want to try. But I won't be making another beef tagine without lots of thinking through last night's shortcomings.[p]Ken

Comments

• Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    Thanks for the kind words abut the lamb rub. Take a look at the Couscous book for what veggies to mix. One thing I recall about eating tagines in Morocco was that there were only 2-3 veggies in most of the pots, probably fo the reason you mentioned. Also we frequently saw only veggies in the tagines; not meat.That is a delicacy for special occasions.

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Marvin,
    The kind words were entirely deserved. Too many veggies may have been the problem: I go overboard easily when it comes to them. The boiling onions were so cute, and then the Thai eggplant begged to come to the party, and and and...[p]Evidence again of the galaxy I have yet to discover.[p]Ken

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    BlueSmoke,[p]I've not ever tried a tagine on the egg, I actually have a couple of the clay cookers that I use in the oven or on the stove. I've found that if you sear the meats before putting them in the tagine it helps a bit as things dont take so long to finish that way but all in all, most of my tagine food have pretty blended flavors. May just be my way of cooking it also. I use a lot of preserved lemons, lemongrass, and lots of veggies. Its not my FAVORITE food but I love it for a change of pace and something interesting to cook. Morroccan food is so diverse and has such interesting flavor mixtures that its a new flavor experience with each recipe I try. Besides, who cant love cooking in a little domed clay pot. Pretty cool, and as you say, the aroma is out of this world.[p]Troy
  • DTM
    DTM Posts: 127
    Options
    Hey Ken,
    Did you preserve the lemons at home? If so how so pls?
    Dan